TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-07-2006, 10:21 AM   #1
jimgolf96

Default Questions to ask when buying used

When inspecting a 2720 (1998 model) what should I be looking for? What questions should I ask the owner? Is $9,500-9,900 too much to pay for unit that is in good shape?

THANKS for the input!
Old 09-07-2006, 11:02 AM   #2
2bcs1jrt

Regarding the value, I would find out what standard features/options it has. Also what you can assertain with the naked eye. (Dents, scratchs, evidence of wear, inside and out.) Then go to the NADA web site (kind of like the Blue book of RVs) and enter the info to see what the value is. Be sure that the seller does not list standard features as "options". Folks on this site can help you determine that if you aren't sure. Manuals for 1998 are hard to come by if the seller doesn't have them. If they do, a copy of the features available on that year will help you assess value on the NADA site.
Cheri
Old 09-07-2006, 12:09 PM   #3
jimgolf96

Default NADA value is much lower

Thank you Cheri. I checked NADA and got a $6,900 high value. Is NADA $3,000 low or is $9,500 price way out of line. I know condition has a great effect but >30% higher?
Old 09-07-2006, 12:28 PM   #4
2bcs1jrt

I paid $7800 for a 1996 2518 in California 1 year ago. I believe I over paid. (20/20 hind sight) I would print your NADA findings and bring it with you. Show it to the seller and ask them to explain their thinking on the price. I think it sounds high, myself but I could be wrong. Look at the TMs for sale section on this fourm and see what folks are asking for similar models and years.
Cheri
Old 09-28-2006, 12:44 AM   #5
janthony

Your thoughts please . . .

After a lot of searching, we've agreed to purchase a 1996 3023 for $6,000--with a brake controller and 1,000# Draw-Tite WDH thrown in. The interior is pretty faded and worn, but the price seems to be pretty much in line with Nada guidelines, and used TMs are hard to find. The TM has roof-mount airconditioning and a fairly new awning (replaced by a TM dealer ~two years ago). The tires are a year old, and look good. It's been used a lot, and stored outside, but seems to be structurally sound. The floor is very squeaky. The seller believes it's a problem with the insulation under the floor. I've been in a few new TMs, and don't remember their having squeaking floors.

We'll need to do the following:
A lot of elbow grease/cleaning
Add two hanging cabinets (one over sink; one over stove)
Add microwave drawer & microwave
Replace all the curtains
Reupholster everything (2 beds, one couch and two occasional chairs)
Replace the floor with new linoleum (wood-look), and while we're at it, see if we can figure out why the floors squeak

I'm trying to decide if I want to make new curtains. Is it possible to buy new curtains and new beds from the factory? If so, I might prefer to get the 2007 models.
Old 09-28-2006, 03:09 AM   #6
rtcassel
Site Sponsor

Do the appliances (A/C, furnace, water heater, frig, stove, toilet) work OK?

Squeaky floors in a house usually mean that the subfloor is not attached well to the joists. Is it possible that the lamination of the aluminum skin(s) of the floor are coming unglued?
Equal-i-zer 1000, Prodigy, McKesh, UnderCover
rtcassel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 07:27 AM   #7
janthony

They told us that everything works great. We saw it after dark in rather dim light, and didn't test anything.

I'm just worried about the floor. It's really squeaky!
Old 09-28-2006, 07:55 AM   #8
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

janthony wrote
Quote:
The TM has roof-mount airconditioning
In 1996, TMs did not have roof air, so this was a retrofit - a nice one. [Edit - see Rick Newcomb's post below.] The air conditioner is heavy, so the torsion bars for the front shell had to be adjusted, or perhaps even replaced, to compensate for the extra weight. Part of your inspection should be to open and close that shell, and make sure that it moves easily and stays in line as it moves.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 08:05 AM   #9
janthony

They had it set up when we arrived, but closed it down while we watched/helped. It seemed to close and latch easily. This particular TM was featured on the cover of Trailer Life magazine in 1996. The seller showed us the copy. I didn't get the whole story, but it was at some kind of boat show, and they just happened on it after the show, and bought it from the dealer. It had the AC when they bought it, so it must have been added by the dealer.
Old 09-28-2006, 10:50 AM   #10
janthony

We called and told the sellers not to take the '96 TM 3023 off the market just yet on our account. We really wanted something we could fit in our garage (which would have to be no longer than a 2720 w/swing hitch), plus we haven't had a chance to check everything out. The price is pretty much in line with Nada guidelines, but it needs a lot of TLC if nothing else.

We may reconsider if it's still available to inspect more thoroughly this weekend and we feel comfortable with everything. But I'm not sure our neighbors would be happy seeing it parked in our driveway 24/7.