PDA

View Full Version : Shelf in Bath & over kitchen Sink

eddugo
11-11-2014, 05:39 AM
Wanting more shelf space in the bath and inspired by Digger's "No more vinyl flaps" thread, I decided to install a shelf using garage door trim. It's PVC, light weight, easy to machine, scrubbable, installs in seconds and I think looks good while covering the joint between the upper and lower shells. Made one for the kitchen sink too.

funpilot
11-11-2014, 06:52 AM
Has anyone looked at L-shaped plastic profiles to use for this purpose? One from this company is 3.5 inches wide with a 1 inch overhang. It is the bottom right one on this page:

http://barbourplastics.com/l-shaped/

I have no idea what it costs, but could give it a nice finish look. They will also put on 3M VHB tape to eliminate mechanical fasteners.

Can someone give me the max width dimensions to do this right?

hjbourge
11-11-2014, 07:00 AM
eddugo, that looks great. Did you remove the "vinyl flaps" there and do you have to remove the shelfs when you close down? Can you put more information on doing this project, like type of PVC door trim, etc. Another summer project, closed down for winter now but gathering information for the summer. :rolleyes:

tentcamper
11-11-2014, 08:02 AM
++ nice. Looks good!

Redtail Cruiser
11-11-2014, 08:31 AM
Nice mod, Ed. Did you use Velcro to keep them in place? VHB tape would make them too permanent, cause you would have to remove them to close down the bathroom wall, right?

Bill
11-11-2014, 08:39 AM
Funpilot -

You're right - it is a good-looking product. The problem here is likely to be that Barbour Plastics is a factory, and they may not even talk to you for less than 10,000 feet of extrusion. I didn't find a Where To Buy It link on their site, so if you find a source for a few feet, please let us know.

On the other hand, there may be other, more retail-oriented sources out there. I didn't find anything on Home Depot or Lowes, but the world is bigger than those two. But I really like your idea. It is worth following up.

Bill

Has anyone looked at L-shaped plastic profiles to use for this purpose? One from this company is 3.5 inches wide with a 1 inch overhang. It is the bottom right one on this page:

http://barbourplastics.com/l-shaped/

I have no idea what it costs, but could give it a nice finish look. They will also put on 3M VHB tape to eliminate mechanical fasteners.

Can someone give me the max width dimensions to do this right?

funpilot
11-11-2014, 12:10 PM
Funpilot -

You're right - it is a good-looking product. The problem here is likely to be that Barbour Plastics is a factory, and they may not even talk to you for less than 10,000 feet of extrusion. I didn't find a Where To Buy It link on their site, so if you find a source for a few feet, please let us know.

On the other hand, there may be other, more retail-oriented sources out there. I didn't find anything on Home Depot or Lowes, but the world is bigger than those two. But I really like your idea. It is worth following up.

Bill

Not sure if it matters, but my RL last name is Barbour.... I will call and ask.

Ok, talked with them. Turns out that the most suitable piece is made for only one company and Barbour does not keep any in stock as they send all that they make. I will call that company and see if they have a sample they might send.

funpilot
11-11-2014, 01:00 PM
I still need the width. Can someone tell me that? Thanks.

eddugo
11-11-2014, 04:43 PM
Let me see if I can answer the questions by explaining how I made the shelves. I took some pic just in case someone asked. First I started out with PVC Garage Door jamb moulding from Lowes - Item number 98009.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_98009-1487-02497_0__?Ntt=98009&UserSearch=98009&productId=3342086&rpp=32

A 7' long piece cost $12.99 here in Florida.

The back of the jamb material is ribbed so it was easy to remove all but one rib to make the piece "L" shaped ( I used a stacked dado on my radial saw) so it would overhang the front and stay somewhat straight. See pics. I then measured the distance between the bathroom walls and the outside shell - in my case it is 3 9/16. i ripped my piece to that dimention. I cut it long enough so it would be held in place by installing it behind the walls. (around 60") The wall between the bath and kitchen moves so I put a small piece of Velcro to keep it from moving. The shelf installs in seconds and must be removed to close the Trailmanor. The right side of the shelf had to be notched around trim - see pics.

The kitchen shelf is on the wall top on the left and covers the vinyl flap on the right. The flap already has velcrow there so I put the opposite piece on the bottom of the shelf to hold in place. It's a little wobbly because it sits on the flap until you place something on the right side - then it's rock solid. Both sids of the Kitchen shelf had to be notched around things in the way. It is also held on the left side by putting it behind the wall. I used the same technique ( removing ribs) to make the kitchen shelf.

Hope I covered everything,

Ed

davlin
11-12-2014, 07:08 AM
Perfectly clear. Sweet job, Ed! This one is now on my list of projects.

Dave

MamaJBee
08-02-2015, 05:36 PM
I wish I were more handy/had more power tools! This looks amazing, and the light weight aspect appeals to me!

So want this done in my TM! And all around the beds, too, as the Mice chewed a bit of my vinyl (not the flaps, but the vinyl that is on the outside).

I don't worry about having the hard edges around the bed, as I made open ended bolsters to match my privacy curtains, that I stuffed with extra blankets. Pillows when I need them and warmth when we need it. The best of both worlds, when camping in the woods of PA anytime after July!

MamaJBee
12-14-2015, 10:14 AM
Has anyone done this with a 2619 that would like to share the measurements? I am crafty but not buildy LOL but really want to do this mod. I just need more help than your average handy camper!

;)