PDA

View Full Version : Just looked at my torsion bars under my TM; and I don't think this looks right

Jen057
11-15-2015, 02:00 PM
Hi all.

Just tarped up our TM before it rains, and I noticed something odd.

We bought this TM in April of this year; we're the third owner.

All the torsion bar connections have pipe clamps on them.. and one is missing a pipe clamp.

Are the pipe clamps there from the factory?
Has anyone ever had a problem with a torsion bar popping out of the mounting bracket?

wbmiller3
11-15-2015, 04:34 PM
Yes, the pipe clamps are from the factory. Your second picture does look like a major problem about to happen. I think you need to get it pushed back through the hollow section and get a pipe clamp on it. I have no idea how hard that is going to be though.

ShrimpBurrito
11-15-2015, 05:22 PM
Yes, the issue in the second picture needs to be addressed. The bar will have the least amount of torsion when the shell is up, and then if you still have difficulty raising that bar up with your hand, that bolt can be screwed in to raise it. That bolt is way out of adjustment anyway, so that torsion bar anyway will need to be readjusted. There are instructions on the forum on how to do this.

Dave

Bill
11-15-2015, 05:58 PM
Yes, it looks like the outer hose clamp is missing in the second picture. It should be replaced, but I don't think it is a big deal to do so. Just raise the shell to take most of the tension off the torsion bar. Get a big flat-blade screwdriver, and insert it into the end of the square channel, under the end of the torsion bar. Lean on the screwdriver to raise the stub end of the torsion bar a bit. Hold it there while you whack the bend in the torsion bar with a mallet (wood or plastic or hard rubber, but not a steel hammer), to pop the stub end of the torsion bar through the opening in the side of the channel. Continue to whack it until enough of the bar is sticking out to put a hose clamp on. Done.

My second observation is that both adjustment bolts appear to be all the way out, meaning the torsion bars are providing minimum lift. This is an unusual adjustment. It might be right, but if you need more lift, just run the bolts in, adjusting all 4 on each shell by the same amount.

Bill

BrucePerens
11-15-2015, 06:16 PM
The torsion bars store a whole lot of energy, enough for 4 of them to do most of the work of lifting the shells in a 90 degree twist. It could be fatal to be under the trailer when that rod popped off of the end. Assess whether you'd prefer to leave this to someone who can do this in a pit or on a lift, and can keep their body away from the rod end.

If you go ahead with this, wear a hard hat and eye protection. Definitely raise the shells first. That will take off a lot of the energy, but something less than all. It might be necessary to drive the bolt in a bit to get the end of the bar aligned with the hole it has to go through. It's not advisable to hammer directly on tempered steel. Use a rubber mallet or put a piece of wood between your mallet and the bar. Push it back where it needs to be. Put the pipe clamp on.

scrubjaysnest
11-16-2015, 12:08 PM
Am I missing something here....ours only has a single clamp on each bar. Should there be one on each side of the tube?

BrucePerens
11-16-2015, 01:34 PM
My 2004 3023 has clamps on both sides. I think it's OK as long as there's a clamp on the end. Having that thing pop out would be bad.

wbmiller3
11-16-2015, 02:59 PM
Our 2001 2619 has 2 clamps/bar.

Padgett
11-16-2015, 04:59 PM
Mine has just one clamp on the outer end of each. I would think that adjusted like that It would be near impossible to open.