PDA

View Full Version : Where does the weight go?

dr carver
06-02-2022, 07:37 AM
Weight distributing hitches do just that - distribute weight. It takes the tongue weight from the hitch and distributes it between the tow vehicle front , rear, and trailer axles.

So I'm curious: has anyone taken weights of these 3 with and without the weight distributing bars/chains connected? It would be interesting to know the real-world difference.

rickst29
06-04-2022, 10:03 AM
It varies, according the "overhang" of your Tow Vehicle's hitch receiver. With my 2007 4Runner TV and my heavy, fully-loaded "31245-like 2619" loaded to present about 450 lbs of unsprung hitch weight on that receiver, I did "before and after" measures of the 3 axles at a nearby truck scale - but I didn't write down those numbers for "future reference".

IIRC, 4Runner rear axle weight went down by over 400 lbs. Before cinching up the WDH, it was carrying a lot of weight from the UNLOADED 4Runner front axle, as well as the full weight of the hitch (in a situation with pretty severe torque at the hitch receiver, due to that front axle "unloading").

I measured before and after, but didn't write down the numbers I obtained for any
"future reference". Cinching up the WDH chains to create level "axle compression" on the front and rear axles of the 4runner (equalizing the measuring change in wheel well height for the TM unattached versus attached) the front and rear axles of the TV were "loaded" by about 250 lbs each, in comparison to sitting with the TM unattached, and the TM axle was increased by about 150 lbs.

Without WDH cinched up, rear axle loading was around 650 pounds higher with TM attached (450 from the hitch, and another 250 created by unloading the front axle of the 4Runner, creating a probably dangerous situation for braking and steering control).

WDH adds a lot of torque at the hitch receiver (in the reverse angle/"direction" from the torque created without one), but my hitch ("RATED" for only 5000 lbs) has not cracked from using this WDH with fairly high tension. I check it quite often.

dab1950
06-04-2022, 10:52 AM
I am posting the website to a "Trailer Towing Calculator" in hopes many of the questions
about towing with or without a WDH can be answered. Bill might even find this website/calculator helpful enough to add to the 'technical reference' section of the forum.

https://www.ajdesigner.com/apptrailertow/weightdistributionhitch.php

Instructions:

Enter tow vehicle ratings and weights.
Enter trailer vehicle ratings and weights.
Enter hitch ratings and weights.

Note, the solutions will automatically be updated when any of the input date fields are modified or changed.
The solution section contains the calculated load and rating for each of the enter truck or trailer ratings. For some loads, the value is simply the entered weight.
In addition, gauge charts are provided to visualize the loads. If the needle is in the green the load is within the rating. Red represents an exceeded load. The transition between the green and red areas represents the rating.

Credit: Jimmy Raymond

Bill
06-04-2022, 11:28 AM
[A calculator where].... questions about towing with or without a WDH can be answered. Bill might even find this website/calculator helpful enough to add to the 'technical reference' section of the forum.

Done! A copy of this entire post is now in the Technical Library. This will be a very useful tool, but it is not necessarily easy to use because you must know (or assume) many of the weights and measures of your particular rig.

Bill

Wavery
06-04-2022, 05:09 PM
I am posting the website to a "Trailer Towing Calculator" in hopes many of the questions
about towing with or without a WDH can be answered. Bill might even find this website/calculator helpful enough to add to the 'technical reference' section of the forum.

https://www.ajdesigner.com/apptrailertow/weightdistributionhitch.php

Instructions:

Enter tow vehicle ratings and weights.
Enter trailer vehicle ratings and weights.
Enter hitch ratings and weights.

Note, the solutions will automatically be updated when any of the input date fields are modified or changed.
The solution section contains the calculated load and rating for each of the enter truck or trailer ratings. For some loads, the value is simply the entered weight.
In addition, gauge charts are provided to visualize the loads. If the needle is in the green the load is within the rating. Red represents an exceeded load. The transition between the green and red areas represents the rating.

Credit: Jimmy Raymond
Contact: [email protected] only thing that must be remembered, in order for this calculator to work, one must use "Actual" scale weights. Published gross weights are useless.

dr carver
06-07-2022, 07:31 AM
Thanks all.

Again, this is just satisfying my curiosity... "inquiring minds want to know.."

Thanks rickst29 for your recollections. The 150# additional load on trailer axle probably wouldn't make much difference unless you're living life on the edge!

ShrimpBurrito
06-08-2022, 02:17 PM
Yes, this has been reported on by a few members, including myself, where the weights with and without the WDH were measured. I can't find my post, but here's one:

https://www.trailmanorowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10652

Dave

Wavery
06-08-2022, 05:16 PM
here's a good way to get your accurate tongue weight.

Just follow the directions and double the scale weight.