PDA

View Full Version : 17" LCD TV with DVD player

TrailGuy77
03-19-2010, 12:09 PM
Hello Everyone! First Off,this is a "Great Forum" with lots of nice people with great responses and solutions! I am so satisfied that I have decided to become a site sponsor! Anyway,I am interested to find out more about the "Factory 17" LCD TV with DVD player". If you have it,could you tell me where it is mounted? How well does it work? Can you pick up many local channels with the stock antenna and power amplifier? Is it difficult to remove the TV and shelf before folding down the trailer? Did you order the satellite dish/TV antenna combination?, if so are you satisfied with it? Any information will be greatly appreciated! Thank You.

Scott O
03-19-2010, 03:19 PM
What model TM are we dealing with? And by the way, WELCOME!

gocntry
03-19-2010, 03:44 PM
If Your Talking Older Models, I Have That... I Have An '08 With A 17" LCD Screen Built Into The Bathroom Wall And The Dvd Player Is Part Of The Stereo Built Into The Space Above The Fridge.

I Can Supply Pics If Needed.

Only Problem Is The TV Tuner Is Also Built Into The Stereo And Is Analog Only :( So Now It's Worthless. I Carry A 17" LCD Tv With Me Now To Pick Up All The Digital Signals

Bill
03-19-2010, 06:49 PM
Ooh, you need to talk with Sharon and Andy (Shandysplace). They have had lots of experience with the original factory package, and figured out some of the things that were less than clear. I they don't chime in, send 'em a PM. They're good people.

Bill

ZekenSpider
03-19-2010, 07:44 PM
.... Anyway,I am interested to find out more about the "Factory 17" LCD TV with DVD player". If you have it,could you tell me where it is mounted? How well does it work? Can you pick up many local channels with the stock antenna and power amplifier? Is it difficult to remove the TV and shelf before folding down the trailer? Did you order the satellite dish/TV antenna combination?, if so are you satisfied with it? Any information will be greatly appreciated! Thank You.

We bought the factory "LCD TV with DVD player" option when we ordered our 3326K in Aug of 2009. We also ordered the Satellite Dish/TV antenna and the 3 drawer chest.

The TV turned out to be a Sharp Model 22DV17UT and the antenna turned out to be the Winegard RM-DM61. The TM came with a TV mount that hangs over a wall (like the toilet wall next to the kitchen or bedroom) but we have not used it as yet.

In general, we love the way it all works. The 3326K has a slide out living room with room for the optional 3 drawer cabinet placed next to the kitchen cabinet/refrigerator end. This is also the area where TM mounted the TV antenna connections and elevation controls. The 3 drawer cabinet turned out to be a perfect place to set the TV (on its' table base, rather than hang it). It also provides room for the satellite receiver. We can spin the TV to the right or left for good viewing from the living room, kitchen or dinette.

Performance on local TV channels is spotty (mostly because there are not too many channels available near the campgrounds where we've been. Even in suburban Phoenix, there are only three channels).

Campground cable is usually very good quality but limited choices. Satellite is the best BUT you must be sure to eyeball where your antenna has to point before you finish parking. More than once I have parked where a tree, building or another rig was right in the way.

When we pack up, we lay the TV flat on it's face on pillows at the base of the slide out and put the satellite receiver in the lounge chair.

Hope this helps,

Jerry

TrailGuy77
03-19-2010, 10:02 PM
Thanks to Everyone for Your Responses! My TrailManor is a 2010 model 3023 that came with the TV antenna and power amplifier but no TV. I have a 13" Magnavox TV/DVD combo with a digital tuner,but it does not pick up local channels well at all,even at local campgrounds.The only place I can set it is on the kitchen countertop above the fridge which works out O.K.,but I would prefer elsewhere.It is also big and heavy for a 13" and takes up alot of room.From what you guys have said so far, it sounds like I would have little to gain by installing the factory TV/DVD player with respect to the TV mount which would be nice.Had a feeling the satellite dish would be difficult to dial in.I am wondering if my TV would fit on the "factory TV shelf" or if I would have to fabricate my own? ZekenSpider,could you tell me the dimensions and weight of your "factory Sharp model 22DV17UT TV" and also the dimensions of your TV shelf? This might tell me whether or not my TV will work with the factory mount.Might have to think this one out somemore.Keep the information coming everyone! Thanks!

ZekenSpider
03-20-2010, 12:29 AM
.....ZekenSpider,could you tell me the dimensions and weight of your "factory Sharp model 22DV17UT TV" and also the dimensions of your TV shelf? This might tell me whether or not my TV will work with the factory mount.Might have to think this one out somemore.Keep the information coming everyone! Thanks!

The dimensions and other details are found at:

http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/sharp-lc-22dv17ut-21/4507-6482_7-33769576.html?tag=mncol;rna

The dimensions are: Panel without stand - 21.1 in x 2.6 in x 14.4 in x 9.9 lbs , Panel with stand - 21.1 in x 7.9 in x 15.6 in x 11.3 lbs. As it turns out, TM upgraded the TV to a 22" from the brochure option of a 17".

We have no shelf. We are setting the TV on the top surface of our 3 drawer cabinet. (See attached picture of cabinet, located across from the recliner chair at the end of the kitchen counter). The factory mount is apparently a light weight hanging strap that hangs from the top of the bathroom wall and bolts to the back of the TV. At least, the one I was given by TM is not a shelf.

Sorry, I do not have any pictures of our system as installed.

Jerry

Scott O
03-20-2010, 09:29 AM
We have a 2720 SL so my location would differ from yours. I did install the factory TV shelf on the wall at a location that works for us. I just take a 20" television & DVD player from the house to use in the TM when we travel. Saved buying another television. The antenna works like any other, that is it depends on the signal. Many campgrounds have cable connections which also work well, again depending on what is available at that area. Don't forget to push in the amplifier button when on antenna, but turn it off when on cable. One thing to consider when selecting the place to put the television is distance from the viewing area. Some of the installs I have seen have the television so far away you need binoculars to see it! Looks good, but useless for viewing.

Bill
03-20-2010, 11:20 AM
Only Problem Is The TV Tuner Is Also Built Into The Stereo And Is Analog Only :( So Now It's Worthless. I Carry A 17" LCD Tv With Me Now To Pick Up All The Digital SignalsWorthless? Oh, my! What you need is a digital converter box. For a while, the Government was giving out coupons to get them nearly for free, but I think that day is over - go to www.dtv.gov to check, and to learn a lot.

Back when converter boxes were free, millions were "purchased", and many were never used. As a result, you'll find good deals on eBay. Original cost of these units was about $30-40, so you should expect to pay less than that. And they are readily available from places like Amazon, with prices starting at about $30. Get one with a remote.

I got a pair of Zenith DTT901 units, which I use regularly (one at home in Scottsdale/Phoenix, and one in my TM).
http://www.zenith.com/products/set-top-atsc-digital-to-analog-converter-box/DTT901/
Works great with the crank-up antenna in the TM.

Bill

gocntry
03-22-2010, 06:41 AM
Worthless? Oh, my! What you need is a digital converter box. For a while, the Government was giving out coupons to get them nearly for free, but I think that day is over
Bill

Yep Got Those When They Were Free :), Only Problem Is Being The Am/Fm/Dvd/Tv Tuner They Installed Is A Car Stereo Like Unit Mounted On Top Of The Fridge In The Usual Place.

Because Its There All The Antenna / Other Connections Are Located On Top The Fridge, And Inside The Cabinet.

So No "Easy" Way To Connect/Disconnect The Box That I Saw.:confused:

Bill
03-22-2010, 08:54 AM
The TV itself probably has a number of inputs. One comes from the "car stereo" unit on top of the refrig. But you could connect the DTV converter box to another input on the TV, and bypass the "car stereo" unit altogether. My small el cheapo analog LCD TV (in the TM) has at least 4 inputs, and using the remote control, I can switch among them quite easily.

Bill

gocntry
03-22-2010, 02:26 PM
The TV itself probably has a number of inputs. Bill

There Is The Problem, Not A TV Just An LCD Screen... See Attached Pic,

The Round Black Button On The Left Is The Remote Sensor, The Button On The Right Is The On/Off Switch.

The Power And Video Cable Runs Down The Wall And Under The Sink.

No Audio Cables, That Plays Thru The Speakers In The Front Shell.

Bill
03-22-2010, 06:14 PM
Aha! Gotcha! Not a TV, just a monitor. If it has no other inputs, you're kinda stuck.

Bill

mjlaupp
03-22-2010, 11:44 PM
Yep Got Those When They Were Free :), Only Problem Is Being The Am/Fm/Dvd/Tv Tuner They Installed Is A Car Stereo Like Unit Mounted On Top Of The Fridge In The Usual Place.

Because Its There All The Antenna / Other Connections Are Located On Top The Fridge, And Inside The Cabinet.

So No "Easy" Way To Connect/Disconnect The Box That I Saw.:confused:

There is a fairly simple way to connect a HDTV converter box to this installation especially if the converter box has an "analog pass-through" function.

You will need the HDTV converter box, 2 coax patch cables, 1 coax bulkhead feed-through connector and 1 90 deg. coax adapter.

Pull the TV antenna 12 volt fuse.

Remove the RV wall plate / power supply, 2 screws.

Disconnect the coax cable from the "set-2" connector on the back of the wall plate. (The "antenna" connector is right behind the on-off switch, the "cable" connector is in the middle, and the "set-2" connector is on the other side of the "cable " connector. Look close, there may be labels on the back side of the wall plate.)

Drill a hole in the face of the wall plate for the bulkhead connector. There should be a free area where the "set-2" coax was connected.

Install the bulkhead connector in the wall plate and connect the coax that you disconnected from the "set-2" connection to the back side of the bulkhead connector using the 90 deg. adapter.

Re-install the RV wall plate / power supply.

Re-install the TV antenna 12 volt fuse.

Connect the HDTV box "antenna-in" coax connector to the original "set-1" connector on the face of the wall plate.

Connect the HDTV box "TV-out" coax connector to the new bulkhead connector on the face of the wall plate.

Follow the instructions with the HDTV converter box to complete the installation and set-up.

If you need to bypass the HDTV box, just disconnect it from the wall plate and connect a coax cable from the "set-1" to the new bulkhead connector on the wall plate.

Note: you may have to open the outside upper fridge vent and remove the heat shield to gain access to help guide the cables as you remove and re-install the wall plate.

Mike

gocntry
03-24-2010, 02:40 PM
There is a fairly simple way to connect a HDTV converter box to this installation especially if the converter box has an "analog pass-through" function.

You will need the HDTV converter box, 2 coax patch cables, 1 coax bulkhead feed-through connector and 1 90 deg. coax adapter.

Pull the TV antenna 12 volt fuse.

Remove the RV wall plate / power supply, 2 screws.

Disconnect the coax cable from the "set-2" connector on the back of the wall plate. (The "antenna" connector is right behind the on-off switch, the "cable" connector is in the middle, and the "set-2" connector is on the other side of the "cable " connector. Look close, there may be labels on the back side of the wall plate.)

Drill a hole in the face of the wall plate for the bulkhead connector. There should be a free area where the "set-2" coax was connected.

Install the bulkhead connector in the wall plate and connect the coax that you disconnected from the "set-2" connection to the back side of the bulkhead connector using the 90 deg. adapter.

Re-install the RV wall plate / power supply.

Re-install the TV antenna 12 volt fuse.

Connect the HDTV box "antenna-in" coax connector to the original "set-1" connector on the face of the wall plate.

Connect the HDTV box "TV-out" coax connector to the new bulkhead connector on the face of the wall plate.

Follow the instructions with the HDTV converter box to complete the installation and set-up.

If you need to bypass the HDTV box, just disconnect it from the wall plate and connect a coax cable from the "set-1" to the new bulkhead connector on the wall plate.

Note: you may have to open the outside upper fridge vent and remove the heat shield to gain access to help guide the cables as you remove and re-install the wall plate.

Mike

Mike,
I Thought About Doing Something To That Extent.... But

I Just Bought A Samsung 19" HDTV, And A Patriot Box Office (http://www.patriotmemory.com/products/detailp.jsp?prodline=6&catid=69&prodgroupid=159&id=895&type=20) Media Player. Now I Can Rip My Dvd Movies To A 16Gb Memory Stick And Use The Box Office To Play A HD Movie On The Tv In The Evening Or Use The Antenna To Pick Up A Few Local Stations To Catch The News In The Morning.

I'm Going To Remove The Lcd Screen And Build A Mount For The New Tv To Hang On The Wall