View Single Post
Old 07-18-2013, 06:48 AM   #4
Camper One

The offset jacks really make the trailer more stable.

The wood blocks are essentially a different discussion.

Wood blocks?!?!?! Ohh...I'm glad you mentioned them...

I made my wood blocks out of pressure treated 2X6. I cut the 2X6 boards into 12" lengths. Then I stacked three of the 12" blocks on top of each other and nailed them together into one very solid block that is essentially 4.5 inches tall, 5.5 inches wide, and 12 inches long.

This is a very large, wide, and stable base.

When camping out in the bush we first try to find the most level spot. When the trailer is mostly level on it's own, I figure out where to place the wood blocks and I use my camp shovel to carve out a flat area under each scissor jack so the wood blocks sit very level.

Then I lower the scissor jacks down and the trailer is pretty solid. I feel more comfortable knowing that each block has a stud sticking out of the top and this stud sticks into a hole on the bottom of the jack pad so there is no way the jack can slip off of the blocks.

Since it is NEVER good to lift the trailer off of the ground using only the scissor jacks. I did this once with our old tent trailer and resulted in a near disaster. Link this trailer, the last one was lifted 6 inches and I was extending all four jacks down almost to their full length. Since ALL of the jacks were aligned they all had just enough wobble where they ALL wobbled over together and bent over. Fortunately I still had the tires on and the trailer only rolled a short distance. I wont do that again.

Sometimes out in the forest I level the trailer left and right by digging a small hole on the high side of the trailer and then back the high side tire into the hole to assist with the left to right leveling. Or I drive the low side up on a 2X6 board.

I also now always use the tongue jack as additional support.