View Single Post
Old 11-18-2019, 03:35 PM   #4
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

This idea of using clamps of any kind to force the door halves into proper position has disturbed me ever since the Tennessee factory switched to the window sash clamp in about 2007. The problem is that the upper door is attached to the wall of the front shell, and the lower half of the door is attached to the wall of the body box. Those two walls are supposed to be parallel to each other, and lie in the same plane. If they are, the door halves stay aligned as they swing, and don't separate as you open them. On the other hand, if the walls are not parallel, the door halves will separate as you open them - as seen in your video at about 2:00-2:05, Travis. So if the doors separate, and you force them together with some sort of clamp, then something's gotta bend. I don't know what it is, but I don't like the idea of forcing some parts to go where they don't want to go.

The proper fix is to align the walls, and it is not hard to do. Once done, the doors do not separate as they swing, and the original white nylon slab does a fine job, without forcing anything.

https://www.trailmanorowners.com/for...light=triangle - - especially post #3

I've written about my misgivings several times, and never gotten much traction. So aside from saying that I corrected the problem on my own TM, I'll put it aside.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote