Thread: Bathroom wall
View Single Post
Old 08-30-2012, 02:10 PM   #1
Bluegrass

Default Bathroom wall

One of the downsides of TM having so few dealers is that what should be routine fixes can turn into a problem when the service people have not ever worked on a TM

To wit: I took my TM into a non-TM dealer I've used for service successfully in the past. Problem was a leak from the toilet when pulling out the slide - likely the seal ring on the floor. I asked if they needed any help opening the TM and they said they had seen them occasionally and didn't think they needed any help. WRONG!

I picked up the trailer. They confirmed that my diagnosis was correct and that they replaced the ring, tested everything and no leaks.

Brought the TM home, opened it up and immediately found that the toothbrush holder had come out of the wall and had been put in the sink (which means they knew it had pulled out of the wall) and worse, when I lifted the front wall of the bathroom, which normally is out about 3" from the outside wall when you lift it, could now be pulled WAY out into the aisle. It also felt just slightly wobbly. Closer examination of the horizontal hinge showed that it had pulled off nearly all the screws holding it to the block of wood on the bottom wall and the hinge, which is plastic, had cracked. I've no idea how they could make that happen.

Then I went to test the toilet. Ran 5 gallons of water through it. No leak. BUT, the toilet wobbles which means it isn't setting on the four small "legs" but is only supported by the new ring. Not good.

SO.....I went back to the Svc Mgr who said they would make it right and asked me to get the hinge from TM which they would pay for. And also that they would seat the toilet correctly. He did say that the Model 80 Thetford is a marine head that they have rarely seen. Not sure why that's a problem but I guess it is different some how.

The conundrum: I've used these guys in the past for fixing the refrigerator which they did perfectly. ID'd a bad installation at the factory, adjusted the igniter and it works like a champ. Do I now trust them to 1) get the toilet seated correctly? 2) know how to install the hinge on the front bathroom wall. I KNOW they've never done that before. But I have no idea how easy or hard it is to do.

Again, there have been absolutely no hassles. They are willing to fix it all. I just don't know whether to let them.

It's 650 miles to the closest TM dealer.

Your advice?

Keith