Thread: 3M VHB Tape
View Single Post
Old 08-29-2023, 09:41 AM   #15
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Default How much length (not width) do you have with the shells close down?

On the front shell of my own 2619, I have 4*100 "skinny" flexible panels mounted front to back, with 2 "street side" and 2 "curb side" of the center seam of the shell.

That would be very high power and avoid the issue of "too much weight", creating three other issues instead:

(1) Although I have never had a 'flex panel' panel (except for one case an accident ripping the top-mounted connector right off), they are generally less reliable and durable.

(2) If hit by hail, they would almost certainly be damaged. (Mine have been subjected only to heavy rains and light snow.)

(3) They transmit a lot of heat into the surface of the roof. (Glass panels are mounted above the roof, allowing an inch of air space fopr wind to carry away the heat).

- - -
You would need to have at least 47" of remaining length when the shells are closed - or you could switch to mounting on the front roof, as I did. That was this panel, which costs less on sale: https://www.ebay.com/itm/145103635981