View Single Post
Old 10-23-2008, 08:50 PM   #10
Alrhall

A turbo pump is like a fan. If you run it backward the fluid flows backward. It is very unlikely that this is a turbo pump. They are too expensive.

Positive displacement pumps are pressure pumps and valves control the direction of flow. Your tire pump is a positive displacement pump. But this is not a high pressure application.

Centrifugal pumps are much cheaper. They are usually low pressure high volume pumps. Correct application. The fluid comes in to the center of the rotating impeller and centrifugal force flings it to the outside of the pump bowl where the discharge is. The impeller vanes are shaped and the discharge is placed in such a way as to cause the maximum amount of fluid to exit out the discharge when it rotates in the correct direction. If it runs backward the water still enters the center and gets flung to the outside but just gets churned up and not much goes out the discharge.

In other words;
If it is a centrifugal pump and it is running backwards. That would explain the symptoms.

Talk to a neighbor or friend who is comfortable around 12V DC power and ask him or her to test the polarity of the wiring.

My bet is that the wires are crossed at the splice under the sink. Or (I’m hedging my bet here) there is a blockage.

Let us know what fixes it