View Single Post
Old 06-27-2023, 09:49 AM   #1
OwenTrail
Site Sponsor

Default Torsion Bar Bracket is broke-need to replace

I have a 1996 Trailmanor, 2518 model, and am looking for help in replacing a bracket that has bent and broke at a weld point, and then advice on how to work the torsion bars when replacing the bracket.
First - I'm not even sure what to call this piece but will do my best to describe it.
It is a bracket connected to the underside wall with 2 holes that two torsion bars go through connecting to the middle front and back lift arms. It is the one on the driver side. The lower shell latch hook is also connected (weld point) to the end of the bracket. It has 4 bolts that attach the bracket to the underside of the wall. (Due to the age of the trailer, I am assuming these 4 bolts go into a 2x4). Structurally the trailer is in great shape. No wood rot etc..
The weld point has broke and then the metal has weakened and torn where the holes are for the torsion bars. I was able to keep using the bracket by bending the lower half of the bracket in place well enough to hold the torsion bars in place. But with the continual bending and stress put on the remaining metal by lowering and raising the shells, the piece has weakened to where it will no longer hold the torsion bars in place. It just bends and is ready to break off.
Looking for any help on what this bracket might be called and then finding one. Once I have the piece, how to work the torsion bars. I'll need to disconnect the torsion bars from the lift arms, and then thread the torsion bars through the holes of the new bracket.
Attaching two pictures of the broken bracket. Thanks ahead of time for any help. I'm amazed at the wealth of knowledge shared on this forum.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Broken Bracket.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	22261   Click image for larger version

Name:	Looking from front towards rear.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	22262  
OwenTrail is offline   Reply With Quote