Thread: Cracked Frame
View Single Post
Old 04-06-2006, 06:54 PM   #18
radiojon

Default Dolly wheel caution!

All --

Just wanted to share my experience last week.

I have a new '06 2720SL that we purchased late last summer. We stored it in our garage through the winter without the stabilizers down -- so the the weight was just on the tongue dolly wheel and the two tires all winter.

We decided to take the TM out for its first trip of the spring, so we were set to roll it out of the garage. I maybe moved it about 3 inches before -- BAM! -- the dolly wheel snapped right off and the entire weight fell onto the retractable jack bar (barely missing my foot).

Apparently, the dolly wheel is connected using one single bolt that is somehow pressed into making a "lip" that keeps it connected; there are no nuts or screws holding it together. I suppose storing it all winter with the weight on the wheel caused the thin "lip" portion to get very weak and break at the first movement.

Oddly, this was the first time my TM dealer had heard of the problem; they simply took another dolly wheel off another TM on the lot and replaced mine.

I had never read that you SHOULD put down all the stabilizers during long periods of storage, but now I'm convinced. Also, I will now only use the dolly wheel for times when I need to move the TM, and NEVER have the weight on that assembly for long periods of time.

Just a heads-up.

- Mark