View Single Post
Old 06-16-2023, 04:23 PM   #7
FlyboyTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
My guess - and it is only that - is that the failure had nothing to do with an electrical transient ("surge"). Instead, I'm thinking that the wire nut on the neutral wire was stuffed into the connection box open-end up. That is a big no-no for any potentially water-exposed work involving wire nuts - including any wire nuts used on the electric brakes, by the way. Water collects in the wire nut, corrosion begins on the wires and on the metal spring in the nut. As the diameter of the wires and the spring get smaller, they lose physical contact pressure, develop resistance - and the high current drawn by the AC at startup burns up the connection.

Just my thought - but all the signs point to it, especially the incineration of all the parts. Since the transient (if any) didn't affect anything else in the camper, I'm having a hard time putting the blame on a surge. And the fact that a circuit breaker didn't trip suggests that there was no actual surge. Assuming I am right, a surge protector would not have helped at all.

Bill
I am in agreement with you. That connection was a weak link and when the power went on/off/on/off...flash/flash/flash (then back on) I know the compressor was locked when it tried to instantly restart. Then multiple assaults just multiplied the problem and the connection finally failed.

Regardless...it should make everyone want to take a look down there! Thanks again for your input! Appreciated!