View Single Post
Old 05-01-2023, 08:07 AM   #20
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey Freswick View Post
I have 1 150 Amp lithium battery, But I think it is more like a 100 AMP. I estimate the fridge will run for about 24 hours with no recharge at all. I also have a generator that can run my AC. I like to be prepared for boon docking, dispersed camping, but in reality do camp most often in state campgrounds with electric hook up. But not always.
I was actually curious about the brand battery. I'm also curious about your inverter. If your inverter is not "Pure sinewave", your fridge won't last long. It must have a pure sine wave inverter. A modified sinewave inverter will also draw more wattage from your battery.

You have plenty of battery and solar (for your stated usage). As long as you have the appropriate size wiring and proper fuse protection, you should be good on all but the days with bad cloud cover. Try to find campsites without trees. Shading can be a real issue.

The other thing that you need to think about is your WFCO converter's battery charger. Be sure that it is set for AGM batteries (if possible on your model). You don't really need a charger made for lithium. However, you will need to run larger (pure copper) wiring from the charger to the battery.

The WFCO charger is really made for lead acid batteries. The max charge amperage of your WFCO may be 45A but it can only handle 45A (bulk charge rate) for a very short period of time before it switches to about 10-15A for the duration of the (absorption) charge. This works perfectly for L/A batteries but poses a stress issue on your charger with lithium batteries.

The lithium battery has little to no internal resistance and resistance is what tells your charger when to lower the charge rate amperage. If you use the WFCO charger to charge your lithium battery, the charger will run at full charge rate of nearly 45A for the duration of the charge. The WFCO charger just isn't designed to take that heat and it's life will be severely shortened.

You may want to consider changing the WFCO charger to a far superior Progressive Dynamics charger. It's a pretty EZ job and if you're interested, one of us (that have done it) can give you instructions.