View Single Post
Old 04-24-2018, 10:34 AM   #5
HoMiPa
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
Holly -

I never heard of these, so I am glad to know about them. Do you think it would be wise for the OP to drill a few 1/8" holes, maybe two on each side of the crack, and put an aluminum pop rivet through each hole? The rivets themselves would contribute no strength, but the extended lumpy backside of the rivet would give the moldable plastic something to grip.

One thing we all forgot to mention is that the first step in the repair should be to drill a hole through the very end of the crack. This will prevent the crack from continuing to propagate further into the rock guard.

Bill

I wonder if perhaps just drilling a couple of small holes, and molding the plastic into them, along with over the back side of the crack, would work just as easy, without the pop rivets? This stuff molds really easy, into cracks, etc.

I only know of this stuff because my daughter is a theatre props master, so she uses this stuff to mold things sometimes. It's fun stuff. LOL But reading the reviews, a lot of people have used it to mend plastic things, with great success. I've played with it, never mended anything, but it seems like it would work. Certainly worth a try, and WAY cheaper than a new rock guard. You can paint it as well, which is a plus.