Thread: Cracked Frame
View Single Post
Old 02-05-2006, 09:31 PM   #4
RockyMtnRay
TrailManor Master

Default 2nd reported instance of a cracked tongue

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopBeavers
Has anyone had a problem with a cracked frame?

I took deliver of a new 2005 TM 2720 in March 2005. Today, while gettigng ready for the second season, I saw a line of rust. I thought it was just a streak from rusty water, but it is a crack down the entire outside of the box tube and also along the bottom and just barely upe the inside face. Slightly more than one half of the stee has failed. The failure appears to have started at the edge of the weld that attaches the swing away hitch to the main frame.

I sure am glad I noticed it before we took it out.

How often do most owners examine the frame for cracks? What do you do about them?

I'll be on the phone Tuesday with Dinuba RV to see about some warantee work.
To the best of my knowledge, this is actually the second reported instance of a cracked tongue...here's the thread of the other instance I suspect it's probably not coincidental that both your and Russ-Bett's cracks are in the vicinity of the hinge point for the swing tongue. Out of curiousity, do you ever swing the tongue with the weight of the trailer on it?

I check my tongue for anything unusual before each trip...and any rust would be very unusual given my dry climate. Like most folks with the swing away tongue, so far so good...no noticeable problems.

I use my TM as a base camp for hiking, kayaking, mountain biking, and climbing Colorado's 14ers

The Trailer: 2002 TM Model 2720SL ( Mods: Solar Panels (170 Watts), Dual T-105 Batteries, Electric Tongue Jack, Side AC, Programmable Thermostat, Doran TP Monitor System)

The Tow Vehicle: 2003 Toyota Tundra V8 SR5 4X4 w/Tow Package (Towing & Performance Mods: JBA Headers, Gibson Muffler, 4.30 gears, Michelin LTX M/S Tires, Prodigy Brake Controller, Transmission Temperature Gauge)

RockyMtnRay is offline   Reply With Quote