View Single Post
Old 09-11-2023, 10:23 AM   #9
benjburton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane826 View Post
What happened to the lip around the shroud opening? There should be a small lip there but yours looks… melted? That lip is supposed to be a last defense of the gasket fails.
Very good question! I don't know what caused the ends to deform. They were the same way when I last replaced the gasket in 2019. They're not cracked, but you're right, they do look like they're sort of melted.

Quote:
I’m not real keen on the old gasket looking like it’s made from 4 separate parts. The new one hopefully looked like it was one piece?
You're right, the gasket is glued at the joints. It came that way as one piece. It does seem pretty solid. I doubt any leaks are coming through this area. The new one is also glued at the corners, but it's much less obvious on the new Camco piece where it uses a 45 degree joint, and the spongier material helps hide it better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavery View Post
Doesn't look like an original gasket to me. It looks like some 1.5" wide, sticky back weatherstripping from Home Depot.

The original gasket is all one piece, thicker and spongier.
I can confirm that it's not Home Depot weather stripping since I bought it. [emoji1] It's a Dometic part. I actually bought a much less expensive Camco part this time to replace it with. It was half the cost of the Dometic. The Dometic is much less spongy, but it feels of better quality, like it wouldn't wear as fast and provide much better support. However, maybe this also means it can't seal as well due to it having a harder time forming to my sloped roof I'm trying to secure it against?

Quote:
.... But didn’t you say you replaced it previously?
Yes, in 2019.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk