TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Electrical
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old Yesterday, 06:41 AM   #11
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Autosnap -

Your posts earlier in the thread suggest that you could use some help understanding the way power flows in the TM electrical system. Since I was already in my Tech Stuff album, I pulled up the summary diagram that may help. Grab it here

https://www.trailmanorowners.com/for...pictureid=1969

I think it will immediately show why the electrical system worked or didn't work, when the power cords were plugged in one way or another. If still not clear, let me know, and we'll walk through it together.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:52 AM   #12
Autosnap

Rick and Bill, thank you so much for this great information! I do have the blade style holder, so there's one thing I can check off as not needing to change. Should I look at possibly using larger size cables in the future or are these adequate size even if I add a battery or go up to the double 6v later on?

Awesome things to think about with the soft start. I got it mainly for the inrush currents from the compressors on the ac and fridge. Mainly so I can run it off my 20amp sources, my house (until i can get an electrician to come out and add a30amp supply) and my truck generator without overloading them. I gave no thought to it being oversized. I saw 30 amp and said to myself... the TM runs off 30, so I'll just get that one. I gave no thought to the fact that it might cause problems on lesser supplies. I'll check with the manufacturer, I may need one for 20 amp for those other applications. I like it for the surge protection and app feedback at the campground.

I can't belive the knowledge available on this forum. Thank you guys for being here! They don't give you near enough information when you buy an RV, and the learning curve is steep...

Thanks again!
Old Yesterday, 01:03 PM   #13
Autosnap

Hey Bill,

I've been looking over your tech stuff. I love the diagram, that helps an awful lot. Do you know where the solar panel might fall in there?
Old Today, 05:44 AM   #14
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

I am not the solar expert on the Forum, so I invite others to comment or correct me.

Discussions of solar system often get bogged down in details very quickly. The details are important if you are installing a solar system, of course, but the diagram you asked about shows things at a summary level.

Charging: In the diagram, you see the TM battery down at the bottom. You see that there are two sources of charge current for the battery. One is the charge line coming from the tow vehicle. The other is the TM's built-in battery charger, physically located in the converter. These two sources are connected directly to the battery. The battery accepts charge from either or both, and if one source is disconnected, the other performs the entire charge function. A solar system, panels and charge controller, is just a third source of charge current, and like the others, it is also connected at the black-circle junction just above the battery.

Powering the TM: At the same time, you can see that there are two arrows above the battery, one in each direction, showing that the battery can either accept charge current from those sources, or provide load current to all of the TM electrical devices.

These functions all happen automatically, as needed, and in the amount needed. In fact, quite often, some of the current from the charging sources goes directly to the TM loads, and some of it goes to the battery to top up its charge. The battery doesn't know or care.

I hope this clarifies that at a conceptual level, all of this stuff is simple. If I've caused more confusion than clarity, please feel free to ask.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote