TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Electrical
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-04-2024, 11:33 AM   #11
Kevinandvicki

Bill. I see you went with a progressive dynamics a while back. It looks like the PD 4655V would be compatible. What PD unit do you use? I am waiting to hear back from WFCO tech support to help walk me through making sure my converter is actually dead. i think it is also. What PD unit do you use? I am somewhat handy so I am pretty sure I can install whatever I end up getting.
Kevinandvicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2024, 12:27 PM   #12
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Other than the main breaker, is there a breaker in newer TMs that will shut off only the converter? There's not one in my older TM at least.....

If there is, checking to make sure that is not tripped for some reason would be easy to do before swapping out the converter.

Since he's getting 12VDC to some DC appliances, albeit not great, but consistent with a low voltage, I'd say the odds of the converter being disconnected are pretty low.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2024, 12:35 PM   #13
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinandvicki View Post
@Bill. I see you went with a progressive dynamics a while back. It looks like the PD 4655V would be compatible. What PD unit do you use? I am waiting to hear back from WFCO tech support to help walk me through making sure my converter is actually dead. i think it is also. What PD unit do you use? I am somewhat handy so I am pretty sure I can install whatever I end up getting.
Bill will chime in too, by I'll cast a vote for the PD 46xxV series, which is the one you've picked out. When I got lithium batteries, I upgraded my converter to a PD4635V, and it's been flawless. Comes with a new upgraded DC distribution board too, so I swapped that out as well. There is a jumper on the converter board to configure it for lead acid or lithium, so just make sure it's in the right spot.

I had a Paralllax unit, and at least with that chassis, while the upgrade was time consuming, it wasn't technically challenging.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2024, 05:30 PM   #14
Wavery
TrailManor Master

I like the Progressive Dynamics with the Charge Wizard. The Charge Wizard allows you to force the charger to output at it's maximum capacity for the entire duration of the charge. Without the Charge Wizard, you just have a 3-stage charger and it will take a lot longer to charge your lithium battery (if/when you get one).

However, you are in a quandary with that L/A battery. Be sure that what you get is lithium compatible as well because your next battery will probably be lithium. L/A are becoming less and less attractive at any price.
Old 06-13-2024, 04:53 PM   #15
Kevinandvicki

Hi all. Wanted to give an update and say thank you. I bought and installed the PD4655V. It was a straight forward install, no modification needed other than an adapter plate for the front screws to hold it in place. The converter came with a new DC board that had the charge wizard as part of it, but I decided not to install it. I have it as a back up since my DC board is fine. Battery now charging at 13.6 and holding steady. Thank you all for the advice and guidance.
Kevinandvicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2024, 10:53 PM   #16
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinandvicki View Post
Hi all. Wanted to give an update and say thank you. I bought and installed the PD4655V. It was a straight forward install, no modification needed other than an adapter plate for the front screws to hold it in place. The converter came with a new DC board that had the charge wizard as part of it, but I decided not to install it. I have it as a back up since my DC board is fine. Battery now charging at 13.6 and holding steady. Thank you all for the advice and guidance.
I hope that you increased the DC wire size to at least 8AWG better would be 6AWG.

If you use the "Charge Wizard", the battery will charge @ 14.6V and at ~50A until the battery is fully charged. That will cut down charging time by 75%.

You can order the Charge Wizard dongle to activate the full charge cycle.
https://www.amazon.com/Progressive-D...s%2C185&sr=8-1