TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Welcome Mat - Member Introductions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old Yesterday, 12:41 PM   #1
TomBeckman

Question New TM Fan from So California with Lots of Q's. Glad to Be Here

Just bought a 2016 Toyota Highlander and need assist on leveling our new KB 2518, Dry weight 2,750.
TomBeckman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:31 PM   #2
TomBeckman

I am new to the Forum and posted a question on the topics page. Inasmuch as I don't know the best way to make posts I will post my questions here until I learn otherwise.
Here is a copy of my comments and questions
Hello Fellow Highlander (HL) owner
I currently have a WDH that's rated to 10,000 lbs. I have received some feedback from owners who think that a WDH of that size could cause problems for a TM that is only 3,200 fully loaded (might bend the frame.) The only way I can level the two is by jacking up the HL and TM prior to installing the WDH. This allows me to tighten the WDH significantly tighter than I am able to tighten it when not jacked up. However, this puts much greater stress on the WDH and perhaps the frame when the jack is lowered. I have a swivel hitch on the TM which only allows me to place the WDH bracket on a 5" space on the TM A-frame. The chain-type Husky WDH I installed fits into that space. My worry is that the WDH may cause some problems down the road due to its 10.000 lb. rating or being super tight. The HL bottoms out when leaving driveways or going over humps in road when not tightened super tight.
My HL is weighted to 5000 lbs. U-Haul installed a tow hitch which sits below the bumper. The difference between a Toyota installed tow hitch, which is installed in the middle of the bumper, and the current placement on my HL is 4". I have 245 60 R15 tires and the height from the ground to top of the wheel well is 32". When not towing there is 4 inches of clearance from top of tire to wheel well wheel well. When towing with the WDH fully cranked tight there is about 1- 1 1/2 inches of clearance.

Please provide me with a few details regarding your HL and your TM hitch, and how you were able to level your TM and HL. How does it compare with the figures above?.
Incidently, Paul, the owner of TM told me that none of the TM trailers need a WDH if the vehicles are level with each other prior to hitching. He expalined that the axel is designed so that weight is distributed very well which reduces sway. That makes me wonder: If I buy and Anderson ball mount with an 8' rise that brings the HL up to the level of the TM that perhaps I may longer need a WDH hitch?

Any thoughts from other Highlander folks would be greatly appreciated.
TomBeckman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:42 PM   #3
Kidkraz
Site Sponsor

Tom, your post in the other towing, hitch section was correct. Sometimes you don't get quick responses. My rig doesn't need the WDH, so I can't answer yer question. Sorry.
2016 Dodge Ram 1500 V8 Hemi
Installed powered folding tow mirrors

Stopped playing with airplanes, now I just enjoy watching them fly by.
Kidkraz is online now   Reply With Quote