TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Electrical
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-25-2024, 11:15 PM   #11
Rolling Thunder

Default No DC from converter

I could write as lengthy a post as I tried to chase down why I had no DC from the trailer alone.. Everything worked when hooked to truck 7 pin or shore power. Nothing worked off the trailer battery alone.
I finally removed the red battery disconnect key and blew into the hole with my air compressor. Re installed the key and presto, everything worked with only the trailer battery. I always remove that battery disconnect key during winter storage so all kinds of dust, moisture, bugs, corrosion must have compromised the connection. I ordered a new unit as I’d imagine the old one is a weak link.
Rolling Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2024, 01:14 PM   #12
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Default This was great news, and cheap to repair!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolling Thunder View Post
I could write as lengthy a post as I tried to chase down why I had no DC from the trailer alone.. Everything worked when hooked to truck 7 pin or shore power. Nothing worked off the trailer battery alone.
I finally removed the red battery disconnect key and blew into the hole with my air compressor. Re installed the key and presto, everything worked with only the trailer battery. I always remove that battery disconnect key during winter storage so all kinds of dust, moisture, bugs, corrosion must have compromised the connection. I ordered a new unit as I’d imagine the old one is a weak link.
In my earlier reply (about converter replacement), I had missed the fact that 12-VDC has been working from shore power, via a still-good power converter.

Some higher-quality power converters are somewhat sensitive about whether a battery is really present, but your current one didn't care. . For battery disconnect, I like the heavy duty rotary switches - dialing in a circle, "A ONLY", then "A+B", then "B-ONLY), with the final position being "OFF" (i.e., neither battery circuit connected to the "load" connection).

But I don't actually use one of those anymore. I always have 120-VAC available during storage, and I have LFP battery packs which I can tune using the cellphone, setting lower "maximum charge voltage" limits for in-garage storage. I raise those limits back up before leaving on trips.