TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Welcome Mat - Member Introductions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-30-2024, 07:58 PM   #1
Alexanderspeer

Default Was just gifted an TM Elkmont, First Trailer!

Hey guys,

Alex here, first time owner.. I just received a trail Manor elkmont 24 that my mom had it stored for a long time. A little confused as to why it's only 20 ft long since the brochure says 24 ft. But that's fine with me I didn't need something that big.

Anyway can't wait to get this thing out on the road,, I'm here in Boise Idaho where it's been hot hot definitely next year going to go on a trip and not be here for July..

One thing I'm wondering about is if anyone knows where to get parts for this thing. A lot of the cover plates on the outside for hookups etc are crusty and falling apart. Otherwise it's in great shape and was only used for one 3-month trip in 2011 and then unfortunately stored outside most of the time in San Diego.. a little bit of maintenance and should be off and running..

Cheers
Alexanderspeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2024, 04:36 AM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Wow! What a lucky guy! You need to offer a big thanks to your mother.

There aren't many Elkmonts around, but we are lucky to have an owner / expert right here on the TMO Forum. I'm sure he will sign in soon.

Your maintenance will start with new tires and a new battery. The exterior cover plates for all the hookups will be straightforward to replace. Do you have a tow vehicle? Of course you will need a hitch if you don't already have one.

July in the US west - sounds wonderful. Enjoy your new toy!

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2024, 09:40 AM   #3
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexanderspeer View Post
Hey guys,

Alex here, first time owner.. I just received a trail Manor elkmont 24 that my mom had it stored for a long time. A little confused as to why it's only 20 ft long since the brochure says 24 ft. But that's fine with me I didn't need something that big.

Anyway can't wait to get this thing out on the road,, I'm here in Boise Idaho where it's been hot hot definitely next year going to go on a trip and not be here for July..

One thing I'm wondering about is if anyone knows where to get parts for this thing. A lot of the cover plates on the outside for hookups etc are crusty and falling apart. Otherwise it's in great shape and was only used for one 3-month trip in 2011 and then unfortunately stored outside most of the time in San Diego.. a little bit of maintenance and should be off and running..

Cheers
Congratulations on your Elkmont gift. The 24' measurement is from the end of the tongue to the rear bumper.

The Elkmont was a marketing trial during some difficult times in TM history. They only made a few each year from 2009-2011. They really are a great travel trailer but (just like ALL RVs) they do have some shortfalls.

The 1st thing that you will want to inspect is the frame for cracks, especially where the tongue meets the main frame and just behind the rear axle. My frame had been previously repaired and reinforced in the tongue area but I found some pretty nasty cracks, just behind the axle (see pics).

The other area that needs serious attention is the black water tank. They mounted the tank with 3, sheet metal screws on each side of the tank, going up into a cross member (with no reinforcement from below the tank flange). This mounting may be sufficient for an empty tank but once the tank is full, the weight is far too much for those few screws to hold. My tank was cracked in all 4, corners and at the outlet pipe.

I repaired all of the cracks. Then I reinforced the mounting with angle iron under the flanges, screwed all the way through the crossmembers, 5, screws on each side (all the way around) and added support straps (see pics).

The cabinetry in the gally is pretty flimsy. The screws fall out of the drawer tracks and the drawers were all crooked. That was an EZ fix by using angle brackets and 1" the wood backing plates for the mounting screws.

I posted some of my mods in the "Elkmont" section (solar, lithium battery, minisplit A/C). Go to the "search" tab above and search for "Elkmont". You may want to have a look. Be sure to remove the wheel bearings, clean, INSPECT and repack them with new grease.

We love our Elkmont, now that she is made safe.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5492a.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	192.5 KB
ID:	23444   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5493a.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	173.4 KB
ID:	23445   Click image for larger version

Name:	TrlrTongBend2.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	3.20 MB
ID:	23446   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5503a.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	308.5 KB
ID:	23447  
Old 07-31-2024, 09:27 PM   #4
Alexanderspeer

Yes, I did give her a big thank you! I'll have to go visit her soon. Yes I have a Chevy Silverado 1500 5.3 l it already has a hitch on it. Thanks!
Old 07-31-2024, 09:29 PM   #5
Alexanderspeer

Wavery,

Thanks a lot for this information, this is great. I will definitely give it a good inspection. Luckily it was only used once for 3 months to go to Alaska. It's done a lot of sitting around but it's still in really good shape. The interior looks really good but I will check everything and double check it. I work on guitars and I do interior decorative finishes so I'm used to doing modifications. This is just a bigger project, looks like here we go!

Definitely go in the forum and check out your mods and other things. Thanks a lot and cheers, Alex..
Old 08-05-2024, 01:54 AM   #6
majohnor

Congratulations on your first trailer, Alex! It's always exciting to receive a gift like that. Enjoy your travels and stay cool in Boise!
majohnor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
elkmont 24