TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > General Maintenance and Cleaning
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-03-2016, 01:38 PM   #1
NorCalKid

Default Post camping trip procedures- Water

First, I looked in Plumbing, Maintenance and the Blue Binder I received with my used TM.
I have a 2003 2720 SD, but I think the info would be generic.
I live in California, and without upsetting anyone, can generally camp year-round. I just head to southern CA in the winter.

After a camping trip, what should I do with any water. I left 1" in the storage tank. Should I drain the system every time? If I do, just open WHICH valve(s)?
The manual lists, under winterizing, opening the freshwater tank. Then there is mention of a high pressure cold water drain valve, and 2 drain valves (hot and cold high pressure drains).
I don't know one from another, but could figure it out.
1) What do folks do after a trip?
2) Does anyone have a diagram or picture of which valve is which?
Help!
Neil
NorCalKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 02:19 PM   #2
Craigrrr
TrailManor Master

I now just open all drain valves , the two that are under the sink area and the two closer to the rear. I leave them open, I do wrap some screen around them held with a rubber band to keep bugs and wasp out of them.

One key thing to remember is to make sure your water heater tank is filled before turning it on.

2008 2720SD
2008 Toyota Sienna XLE
2015 Prius v the money saver
Craigrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 02:22 PM   #3
LoveToCamp
TrailManor Master

I will drain my fresh tank as I am leaving the campsite, as I don't want to tow any more weight than I need to. Also, less weight when driving Forest Service trails and roads is easier on the trailer.

But, when I have been near home, and on pavement, and another trip is within two weeks, I don't drain anything. Water heater holds 6 gal, so that is 6 gal saved. If I guessed properly, I may only have 5 gal in my fresh tank, so that is a total of 11 gal (plus whatever is in the supply lines) that I don't have to re-fill.

My fresh tank is drained at least monthly, though, at the longest, since I can't always camp within 4 weeks of the last trip.

I only have three drains - one under the TM under the fresh fill inlet, and the other two on the curb side, under the water heater.
LoveToCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 02:39 PM   #4
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Neil -

This diagram from my Tech Stuff album may help.

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...&pictureid=435

When we are in the campground, packing up to go home, I open all four outside drain valves, plus the hot water faucet in the kitchen sink, and leave them open. The motion of the trailer as we drive shakes most of the water out of the various pipes, fixtures, and the fresh water tank, and empties the water heater. When we get home, I either close them - or I don't. Doesn't seem to make much difference, except that if I don't close them, I get wet feet when I hook up the supply hose on the next trip.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 03:11 PM   #5
tentcamper
TrailManor Master

When leaving the last CS of our trip, we open all the drain valves and leave them open until our next trip, when I fill the water heater.

But our friends in CA, all seem to want to leave the water in the tanks. There is more appreciation for water by them, then us in the Great Lakes States.
tentcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 06:52 PM   #6
TexasCamper

Default my water draining

I drain the hot water heater every time, even when day-tripping from one camping spot to another. That is because I've heard full hot water heaters can break off their supports if the vibration is too much.....(don't forget to turn heater off!!!)

When I break down camp, I open both bathroom sink and kitchen sink hot and cold water faucets to allow for the draining process.

Of the four water drain valves on my 3023, there is one towards the front that drains the fresh water tank. I'll only drain that if I was dry camping, have leftover fresh water, and am finished with my camping trip. Otherwise I'll leave that one closed.

I'll open the drain valves after I dump and am hitting the road. I don't like opening the valves at my campsite because it can make a muddy mess for the next camper. I don't like opening the valves at a dump station for fear that the next user thinks I spilled my gray water. So I'll just let the water drain as I drive away (most water volume is from the hot water heater).

At my first gasoline fill-up, I'll close the valves.
TV#1: 2008 Chrysler Town & Country (3.8L Touring w/ tow package, WDH) (*retired 2018*)
TV#2: 2015 Nissan Pathfinder (w/ tow package, WDH)
TV#3: 2018 Ford F150 (w/ tow package, WDH)
TexasCamper is offline   Reply With Quote