TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Plumbing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-05-2004, 07:39 PM   #1
jgilliam1955

Default Lesson learned Winterization

I had posted some information about molding & bathroom shelf damage on a earlier post. Since then, my wife for vacation went to Myrtle Beach S.C. ( 330 Miles one way ) Got there Friday evening. When I hooked up the water, I found water pouring out of the out door shower. When I opened the door & found both knobs ( Hot & cold) had been broken off. I spent some of the evening trying to get it fixed & the next morning after driving around and finding out it could not be fixed, I went to Lowe's and bought two plastic end caps & screwed on the caps to stop the leak. This worked & thought this would save the vacation. BUT when I turned on the water we found a bad leak under the sink. This is when we packed up & came home.
I found both platic collars had been broken in two that holds the knobs on. I wrote the TM dealer & the company and waiting for a reply.
We bought the 2004 TM in Sept 2003 and used it for one weekend in Oct & Nov. This was going to be our third & first real camping trip. Needless to say we are VERY disappointed.
When I found the first problem I had the tires spin balanced. I do not know what caused the damaged. There is or was something that vibrated the TM enough to cause all this damge. I'll post the pictures below.
Old 06-05-2004, 10:10 PM   #2
Windbreaker

Default Re:WARNING about TM

Wow, I've know a lot of TM owners and this is a first. I'm sorry your trip was ruined. I'm sure the factory/dealer will stand behind the product.

I hope you have much better luck in the future.
Old 06-06-2004, 08:46 AM   #3
rtcassel
Site Sponsor

Is it possible that this problem was caused by high water pressure?
rtcassel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 09:07 AM   #4
jgilliam1955

No. Read my other post. I have a regulator on the water hose. On the other post the shelf that hold the bathroom wall was torn loose. I fixed that with glue.
Old 06-06-2004, 09:27 AM   #5
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine
Default Re:Lesson learned Winterization

The outdoor shower looks like freeze damage to me. Was your TM exposed to freezing temps last winter, without opening all four drain spigots under the TM, and without removing the outdoor shower head from the end of the hose? I lost my shower head this way, though not the valves.

I guess the leak under the bathroom (?) sink could be the same, though I didn't think anything under there could be hurt by freezing. Where exactly was the undersink leak? In one of the water lines to the faucets?

The rearmost pair of drain spigots are what drain the water out of the bathroom plumbing, which includes the outdoor shower. Since all the damage is concentrated in the bathroom ...

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 04:32 PM   #6
jgilliam1955

I followed the instructions for preparing the TM for winter that I found in the manual & what I got off of this forum. BUT I did not do anything with the outdoor shower. Did not even think of it since we have never used it. As for the leak under the sink I couldn't tell where it was coming from. It was right above the water heater. I'll make a post when I find out from the factory any information. It could be from the cold or maybe from the tires being out of balance. I do not know. Look at my other post & look at the pictures. I think all this is related damage. Or maybe it's 2 different things that just happened at the sametime.

Thanks for the information.....
Old 06-06-2004, 08:32 PM   #7
Bill
Site Team

Default Re: Lesson learned Winterization

Well, OK, maybe they have changed the manual. My manual does say that among the steps for winterizing, you should open the four drain valves, including the two aft of the bathtub, and either pump antifreeze through the outdoor showerhead or remove the showerhead and drain the hose. I ignored this my first year, and I paid the price - a split shower head. It was my fault and I admit it. Hasn't happened since.

It also says to open the tub and sink faucets, to let the water drain out of those. Was your problem under the bathroom sink, or the kitchen sink? Either way, I guess freezing could be a problem if it isn't drained per the instructions. The TM water system is designed to gravity-drain - you don't have to do anything elaborate - but you really should drain it before freezing weather.

By the way, are you satisfied with the transmission operation of your 2002 Explorer? I'm not sure that I am, but I'm looking for some other experience to compare against.

Bill
Old 06-07-2004, 06:00 AM   #8
jgilliam1955

I think you may be right. I'm begininig to think freezing may have caused this. The leak is under the sink, above the hot water heater. I just looked up the manual & your right. I don't remember doing half that stuff.
Live & learn. :P I'm hoping the factory can take me in & fix it. It's a 9 hour drive. I still have a week left on our vacation. Maybe we can salvage something.
My explorer is fine. What are you experiencing? Remember the transmission learns each time you drive. It's in the computer chip.
It adjust itself with or with out the camper. You have a TM2619?
Old 06-07-2004, 09:01 AM   #9
Bill
Site Team

The fixes should be quite easy and not too expensive. I bought replacement parts for my shower at a hardware store. I'm sorry to hear that the problem is consuming your vacation, though - that's a hard thing.

Bill
Old 06-07-2004, 02:48 PM   #10
kempert
Site Sponsor

I just remembered an idea that I tried back in February. After dumping my black water and grey water tanks, I opened all four drain spigots under the TM and let them drain as I drove. The water drained for miles and miles. After getting home, I blew out the water lines and there was very little water left. My only concern was what others might think was coming out of my TM as I drove along the road.
kempert is offline   Reply With Quote