TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Frame
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-28-2009, 11:09 PM   #11
markandanne

We rented a class-A a couple of years ago to drive back East to visit relatives over Christmas. It was nice and sunny in CO when we left. That was the year the Front Range started getting 2 feet of snow every other week from Christmas until Feb, and it started while we were in Maryland. We watched it in the news from MD, thinking it would all be melted by the time we got back to CO. Two weeks later when we began driving back across the country, we began a race with the next round of snow, which we lost in Kansas. We camped 3 days in western Kansas waiting for the roads to open, over New Year's Eve (we had some bubbly in the class-A so we were prepared!).

When the roads opened back up, we began the slow crawl across the state line and through CO. We saw a *bunch* of trailers in the ditch, off the road, jack-knifed and having flipped the TV. They were only challenged by the number of SUV's we saw in the ditch as well. The class-A was reasonably controllable the whole way back. We had to thank our neighbor for blowing our driveway clear of the 4' of snow that was in our yard.

Anyway, this really opened my eyes as to just how uncontrollable a trailer is when it gets slick (along with how stupid SUV drivers can be). I know that the theory is to have chains on the trailer so that it acts like a sea anchor, but I'm unconvinced that it will actually work. The problem is that they have such poor forecasting ability here in CO, and it's easy for these things to sneak up on you.

So I'm halfway between your plans of just extending your stay until it's safe (which is how I've been dealing with it up until now) and the "be prepared" motto, and I'm unsure which is the better plan.

And yes, a ton of work re-attaching everything inside will be required after a trip like that I'm sure.

Mark