TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-26-2017, 11:16 PM   #1
momto4girls

Default Anyone here towing with a Tundra?

My husband has a "company truck". I put it in quotes because we actually own the truck. It's paid for. Done. And it belongs to us--not the company.
He is on what is called a Runzheimer Plan through his company. The vehicle has to be a truck because he has to be able to drive through rock quarries and asphalt plants. The plan requires him to drive a truck that is no more than 4 model years old. Runzheimer means they give him a non taxable monthly allowance to cover costs plus insurance. It's not enough, of course. He could sell his Tacoma right now for almost as much as he paid for it a couple of years ago. (We bought it used with about 1000 miles on it.) The resale value on Tacomas is amazing. So... we could bank the money and lease. And pay for braces for the 11 yr old, and a car for the 16 year old, etc. Since he has to trade cars every few years anyway, a lease MAY make sense for us. At least in the short term.

So we are ((considering)) a lease. The lease deals appear to be better for a Tundra than a Tacoma in our area.

I'm curious what kind of gas mileage we would get towing the TM with a Tundra. My husband feels like towing greatly affects the gas mileage of the Tacoma. I'm wondering if having "more truck" means that towing would not affect the gas mileage as much. What do the expert towers say? He had a Tundra before this Tacoma. He likes driving the Tacoma better but will buy/lease whatever makes the most sense financially.