TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-22-2018, 05:18 PM   #1
pmhellings
Site Sponsor

Default Swaying Avoided

My honey and I own a 2720 and have towed it about 12,000 miles over the last two years. In the past we used her Toyota Sequoia and my Toyota Tacoma. It has always been rock solid with both vehicles, without a WDH.
Recently she bought a 2017 Ford Expedition with a towing package, rated for 6500 pounds. The first time we took it out it felt "sensitive" and if we went about 72 or 73 ( to pass safely ) there was a hint of sway.
We planned to go to the Jubilee in Nashville this year, so we took pains to load carefully and plan for proper weight distribution. To no avail, the sway was there, and to the point of where I started shopping for a WDH.
I decided to try one more thing. I checked the tire pressure on the Expedition. The tires were at the factory spec of 37 psi. but the tires had a max pressure of 51 psi. I got out my bike pump and bought bothe rear tires up to 42psi. A miracle! No more sway! The TM towed like it had before with the previous vehicles.

I realize that, on this forum, the usual fix for any and all towing issues is " use a WDH ! " I prefer not to use more gear than I need ( no generator, no inverter, no microwave, no power drill for the stabilizers, etc ) so for me a WDH would be the last resort. I thought that I would share my experience for others who may share my minimalist approach.

Paul