TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-06-2005, 02:31 PM   #1
RockyMtnRay
TrailManor Master

Question Who's interested in/has used wireless internet in campgrounds?

As a very early adopter (way back in '00) of wireless networking ("WiFi")...and as someone who works from home...I love the ability to use my laptop to work, browse the web, handle email, etc. from anywhere around my home (office, living room, out on the patio, etc.) without having to drag a network cable around.

Internet connectivity while traveling is for me not a nicety but a have-to-have because it's imperative that I check my servers, check email, and provide customer support at least every other day, preferrably every day, even when I'm camped somewhere in my TrailManor. To date I've been depending on using my cellphone as a wireless modem but connection speeds are pretty slow and a graphics rich web page can take literally minutes to load.

I recently had the opportunity to stay at a motel that had wireless internet connectivity in all rooms and was that ever sweet. Very high speed (about the same as my broadband at home), I was able to do all my daily morning internet business chores in a matter of minutes instead of the half hour or so that it would have taken on a dial up connection. All I had to do was bring along my WiFi card and I was up and running on the motel's network in a matter of seconds...and even better, it was totally free!!!

I've been noting that an increasing number of commercial RV parks are now offering some form of wireless internet, allegedly throughout the entire park. This is one "hookup" that might just get me to start staying in commercial parks more often...I can do without electrical/water/sewer hookups for a few days but internet I gotta have every day.

Sooooo, how many of you folks are equally desirous of this amenity? And if any of you have stayed in RV parks with wirelsss internet, how well did it work, what kind of daily fees did you incur, etc?

I use my TM as a base camp for hiking, kayaking, mountain biking, and climbing Colorado's 14ers

The Trailer: 2002 TM Model 2720SL ( Mods: Solar Panels (170 Watts), Dual T-105 Batteries, Electric Tongue Jack, Side AC, Programmable Thermostat, Doran TP Monitor System)

The Tow Vehicle: 2003 Toyota Tundra V8 SR5 4X4 w/Tow Package (Towing & Performance Mods: JBA Headers, Gibson Muffler, 4.30 gears, Michelin LTX M/S Tires, Prodigy Brake Controller, Transmission Temperature Gauge)

RockyMtnRay is offline   Reply With Quote