TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-18-2005, 06:34 PM   #1
hingarfi

Default Another Battery Charge Inquiry

I just bought a 2004 3023 with the Parallax 7300 converter. I will mostly be boon docking so I installed 2 golf cart batteries (225AH) on the A frame. My goal is to recharge in as short a time as possible. I am not considering solar panels but will buy 1KW "quiet" generator. I plan on adding the Progressive Dynamics PD9145 or PD9160 with the Charge Wizard. There is #10 wire from the battery back to the converter.
(1) Does anyone have an opinion on how difficult it would be to replace this #10 with #6 or # 8 wire? I am talking about the difficulty of physically pulling the wire in tight spaces.

50 feet of #6 has about 0.02 ohms. 50 Amps would see a voltage drop of about 1 Volt. The PD allegedly puts out 14.4 volts initially so the battery would only see only 13.4 V
(2) Seems this voltage drop would prevent the PD from charging at the 50 Amp rate for any significant length of time. Your comments / experience will be appreciated.

My gut feeling at this time is to:
Leave the Parallax 7300 as is.
Buy the PD9145, connect it directly to the battery with 2-3 feet of #4 booster cable with alligator clips and plug it into my 1KW generator. Then the PD can do its thing charging the battery intelligently. Since this unit is housed in my garage, this arrangement seems feasible during storage.