TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Tires Tires Tires
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-03-2006, 10:03 PM   #1
kdrickard
Site Sponsor

Default Valve stem leaks

I went to prep the tires tonight for our first trip of the season this weekend, and while filling the tire on the shady side (little/no sun exposure) had the valve stem blow and start to leak. Checked the other side (some sun but not all day) and found if I gently wiggled the valve stem it would leak a little.

The tires -- Goodyear Marathons -- are about 2 1/2 years old or less, but since I'll have to pull the tires to replace the valve stems I am thinking I might also replace the tires to avoid having to pull them again in a year or three for replacement due the the "hassle factor". What is irritating is that both stems are bad, and I can say they have only been touched to keep the tires at the proper inflation and have been handled with some care when filling and checking tire pressure.

The TM valve stems have always seemed a bit soft/wiggly compared to car tire stems, and I plan to ask if there is something better to replace these with as I get these repaired.

Any thoughts are appreciated as it looks like I need to get two repairs done over the next several days, and am wondering when I'll need to evaluate the spare.

Thanks,

Kevin