TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Solar Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-22-2010, 05:39 PM   #11
Mr Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by harveyrv View Post
I'm not sure that it is a good idea to use 2-separate controllers on one battery bank.

The controller reads the state of charge from the battery to determine the controller's output. If you use 2-controllers on the same battery, each controller's output may cause confusion to the other controller.

I'm not sure about this and you may want to contact the manufacturer of those particular controllers. I would simply run one controller for both panels that will handle 10 or 20 amps. I have a 20A controller but you can probably get away with a 10A. You just don't want to exceed the controllers maximum rating. I would imagine that each of your panels comes with a 10A controller (I may be wrong).......

Hi Wayne, I contacted the main dealer as printed on the panel manual I posted above and he replied with the following, regarding connecting multiple controllers to the same connection at the battery (parallel). Here is his reply:

There is absolutely no problem whatsoever using controllers in Parallel. In fact, it is standard design feature in most decent quality controllers built today. No confusion between them. You can look at the Morningstar web site and you will find most of their controllers can be used in parallel also. http://www.morningstarcorp.com/en/home. It is an easy way to add solar capacity and upgrade without having to replace your old controller with a larger one. The only precaution is that the finish voltages should be set the same, but this is factory set. Unless you use controllers from two different manufacturers, it should not concern you.
Jim Mannett - CEA Solar