TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Interior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-20-2024, 11:45 AM   #1
Les Fellows

Default Formica Replacement

Happy Summer everyone!
We have dusted off our older (2003) 3023 and are ready to hit the road later this week. When we bought the old girl it had some pretty fair sized chunks of formica broken of the edges on the kitchen counters. I have been weighing if I should fill in the chipped areas and then A: put a granite like epoxy finish leaving the countertops in place. Or B: Removing the countertops, filling in and overlaying with new formica.
Has anyone ventured down the road of removing and reinstalling countertops?

Thanx,

Les
Les Fellows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2024, 12:22 PM   #2
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Fellows View Post
Happy Summer everyone!
We have dusted off our older (2003) 3023 and are ready to hit the road later this week. When we bought the old girl it had some pretty fair sized chunks of formica broken of the edges on the kitchen counters. I have been weighing if I should fill in the chipped areas and then A: put a granite like epoxy finish leaving the countertops in place. Or B: Removing the countertops, filling in and overlaying with new formica.
Has anyone ventured down the road of removing and reinstalling countertops?

Thanx,

Les
I thought about doing it. It's really not hard to do.

Just fill in the chips with Bondo and sand smooth. Then, overlay the old Formica with new. All you need is a jigsaw and a small router.

However, take a look at the newer TMs counter. The sink portion is at the same level as the rest of the counter. This would be the time to make that improvement. I hate bending down to use that low sink. It would make trimming the Formica a lot easier too. It just requires a fold down faucet, adding about 2-3" to the cabinet face and some plumbing adjustments to the sink drain. I bought a new faucet because I was going to do what you are thinking of. Alas, I bought a TM Elkmont and that solved that problem.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CWNYMW2X...9ocXBfc2hhcmVk
Old 08-20-2024, 03:51 PM   #3
Les Fellows

Thanx for the response.
The counter in our TM is level and that is nice. I have done a fair bit of countertop building and have the tools I need, just wasn't to sure how difficult removal of the existing countertop would be. I do plan on replacing the faucet w/a folding unit. The one we have now, you spin the spout off before you rig down.
Les Fellows is offline   Reply With Quote