TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Plumbing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-19-2024, 03:05 PM   #1
rich2468
Site Sponsor

Default TrailManor water treatment options under boil water advisory

Hello fellow TrailManor owners!
I'm considering heading north next summer into Canada for an extended camping trip and have found that different provincial parks may or may not have boil water advisories in place.

I've never run into a boil water advisory here in the US (although I know there is always a possibility, too) and I typically carry a couple of 5-gallon water cubes on extended trips to use strictly for drinking.

It's not always convenient to find a place to fill those 5-gallon cubes when in-route from one destination to the next and I'd rather not run boil water advisory water through my interior water lines (and later need to disinfect them)- so I'm looking for ideas of what others have done.

I always use a Camco inline water filter to help with particulate matter and taste when using a "city" water connection or when filling my onboard freshwater tank, but that's not going to cut it for biological contaminates.

Due to the limited space in our campers and the likely limited need, I'm considering just picking up some Aquatabs (or something similar) and trying to figure out a way to get them into my freshwater tank to treat water there...
but I'm not completely opposed to investigate installing an inline LED Ultraviolet Water Filter Purifier as it looks like the power needs are realistic (for running one off 12 Volt DC).

I know that I'll need to match a water flow restrictor to the capacity of any Ultraviolet Water Filter and realize that doing that will have to align with the needs (requirement) of my DW who has to have sufficient water pressure/volume to shampoo her hair every so often or else that solution will be doomed.

Does anyone have anything that they use (or are prepared to use) when you have to take on water from a source under boil advisory?

Thanks,
Rich

420Ah LiFePO4 battery bank, 1K watt solar, 3K Watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter, DC-to-DC Charger, Sealand 711-M28 toilet, Maxxis 8008 Load Rated E Tires
rich2468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2024, 03:51 PM   #2
Shane826
TrailManor Master

No sure about what to do with the boil advisory but you should also use the Camco online filter when filling the fresh tank. You don’t want all that sediment in the tank, pump, or plumbing.
SMARTER THAN GOOGLE!
Shane826 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2024, 05:21 PM   #3
Kidkraz
Site Sponsor

Try searching for survival/off grid water filtration systems. Or after disasters. The link below is one of several filtration options out there. Years ago, I went white water rafting and the tour folks had a large hand pump style water filter. It was about 30-36 inchs tall, and could pump a gallon or so from a stream for drinking. I'm sure technology has reduced the sizes of quality filtration. Good luck, post what you find. I could be useful to other here in case of emergencies, not just camping.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00QFXGSIY...ogi&th=1&psc=1
2016 Dodge Ram 1500 V8 Hemi
Installed powered folding tow mirrors

Stopped playing with airplanes, now I just enjoy watching them fly by.
Kidkraz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2024, 03:32 PM   #4
rich2468
Site Sponsor

Thank you Shane and Kidkraz for the thoughts.
In looking at what's available vs. what's practical (ongoing maintenance/ cost/ complexity) for a 4 to 6 week trip where water coming out of the tap may be under a boil advisory has led me to decide to just pick up a two or three stage external (canister) filter system to use when filling the fresh water holding tank followed by putting in an appropriate amount of Aquatabs in the freshwater holding tank (via yet to be installed access hatch). For any drinking/ cooking use of the water coming from my TM's kichen faucet, I'll use a Brita pitcher to ensure that residual Aquatab taste is minimized.

Ronco Plastics sells what I think will be an appropriate inspection hatch for the Polyethylene freshwater tank and I believe I can find a food grade gasket material to ensure the hatch doesn't leak.

Trying to add a LED UV purification filter system to my TrailManor's plumbing system would add a lot higher cost and need for maintenance (ongoing and end-of-season) than I'd want to deal with, but can see why the guys who do overlanding adventures (for months on end) would use UV.

420Ah LiFePO4 battery bank, 1K watt solar, 3K Watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter, DC-to-DC Charger, Sealand 711-M28 toilet, Maxxis 8008 Load Rated E Tires
rich2468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2024, 08:39 AM   #5
Dan3023

I would just buy some of those big bottles of water. I'd just feel more safe than hoping the filters worked.
Dan3023 is online now   Reply With Quote