TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Exterior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old Yesterday, 08:05 PM   #1
Bobcat54s

Default Window part needed

Hello everyone,
We purchased an older used TM late last spring that we have been repairing and fixing. One of the front shell side windows was broke out, the window that slides back. My dad has cut a replacement, but the long metal piece that slides over the end of the window, that you push on to open and that curls up as a lock, is missing. The previous owner must have threw it away. Does anyone know where I can get a replacement? I appreciate any ideas or help a can get. I have attached a picture of what I’m talking about.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1040.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	23545  
Old Today, 07:47 AM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

I'm not sure what I am seeing in the picture, but you may be in luck since the part you are looking for sounds like it was used on many Hehr windows. Your best bet is probably to check in with Shane826 on this Forum - he has parted out a couple older TMs and may be able to help.

If not, you can get Hehr windows (and presumably parts) directly from Hehr, but the process of buying it and installing it is annoying. Not hard, but annoying, and if you are able to find the part anywhere, you will have to go through the process anyway.

Hehr makes probably 10,000 different window assemblies for the RV industry. Many of them look the same and measure the same, but they are not identical. Even for the part you are seeking, you may need to know the part number of the specific window in question. To find it, go inside the TM, and remove and save all the screws from the window frame. Now you can pull the inner frame out of the wall. At this point, the only thing holding the outer half of the window in place is the exterior caulking, so be careful not to let it fall out. When you have removed the inner half, you will see a paper tag with a lot of numbers on it. I suggest you take a picture of this tag, and then screw the inner part of the window back in place. The tag contains the part number of this particular window out of the 10,000 styles. It also contains info on TM's use of the window. You can call Hehr directly - the girl on the other end was very helpful when I went through this. You will need all of this info.

TM buys entire windows assemblies from their supplier (no longer Hehr, I think). They do not buy or stock window parts. You could call the TM factory and ask if they have any windows in their trash pile. I doubt that this will succeed since they may not have a trash pile. Your "older TM" was probably built in Tennessee before the ownership change a number of years ago. The factory is now in S. Dakota, of course. Or you can call one of the servicing dealers and ask the same question. Start with Custom RV in California. Again, I am not confident of the outcome since the dealership roster has rolled over a few times, and Custom RV has moved in the past year or so. But perhaps it is worth the effort.

If you can't find the part, you may have to jury-rig something that will work. Good luck.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:11 AM   #3
Bobcat54s

Default Picture

The picture is of a TM window I found online. It shows the metal piece at the end of the window I am needing. Not the best picture, I know. I would have taken a picture of one of my windows, but it's in a different town, currently.
Bobcat54s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:21 AM   #4
Bill
Site Team

Quote:
The picture is of a TM window I found online. It shows the metal piece at the end of the window
OK, knowing that, I took another long look at the picture. Are you referring to the straight white vertical piece, near but not quite touching the curtain in the picture? The photo looks like the window is bent back beyond that piece (closer to the curtain), and I have no idea what that is about. But if you don't need anything in the "bent" area, you may be in luck.

Assuming that is true, the piece is a length of simple aluminum extrusion. If you do a Google search on "aluminum extrusion" you will get a ton of hits. Extrusion comes in all kinds of sizes and shapes, so you would need to measure the missing piece carefully (I know, how do you measure a piece that is missing?) and find something that matches. You will have to buy a piece that is longer than you need, and cut it to length yourself - no big deal. And it may be bare unpainted aluminum, and you would have to paint it. Also no big deal. The good news is that the stuff is wicked cheap.

You will need to make two critical measurements. Most important, how wide does the groove in the extrusion have to be. The edge of the glass has to slide into the groove, so the width of the groove has to accommodate the thickness of the glass, plus a bit to accept a thin wrap of rubber strip around the edge of the glass, to water-proof it. You will also have to provide this rubber strip. Second is the depth of the groove - in other words, how far will the glass slide into the groove.

If you look carefully at the other windows in your camper, you should be able to get a good idea of both measurements.

When you put it all together, you will need to glue the rubber strip onto the glass, and also glue the rubber strip to the inside of the aluminum channel, so that the aluminum piece doesn't pop off when you pull it to open the window. Slow-setting super-glue might do the job and give you some time to work with it - I'm not sure. Or buy some glue labelled "bonds rubber to metal and glass".

Good luck.

Bill
Old Today, 10:11 AM   #5
Bill
Site Team

For a jury-rigged solution, it might be something like this. This extrusion is called "F-channel" for obvious reasons, and it is one of the simplest shapes. The edge of the glass slides into the groove. The stem of the "F" is the handle that you use to slide the window. Of course it does not have the lock, but that does not have to be a big deal.

If you need something more elaborate, I'm sure you will find it if you keep looking.

Bill
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F-Channel.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	10.2 KB
ID:	23546