TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Frame
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-06-2013, 11:43 AM   #91
PopBeavers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesherp View Post
I inspected my welds yesterday and everything looks fine so far. However, I think it would be prudent to have some additional support added to the area where the weld is failing. I don’t think mine has the additional strap welded across the bottom of the box tube that PopBeaver said was added. I would like to see some pictures of anything that has be done to reinforce the hitch.
I see that you have a 2006.

I reported the problem in early 2006. So, if you have an early 2006 then I would expect that it does not have the extra strap. A late model 2006 should have it. And anything built after that.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:28 PM   #92
Roy in Texas

I described a similar failure this summer that I discovered while I was staying at Ft Sam Houston. I had to have a portable welder come to the site. I believe that the swinging side of the hitch failed first and then the additional stress caused the trailer side welds to fail. We ended up adding a small plate to the bottom of the trailer side of the swing hitch to stiffen the area where the weld broke.

The first two pictures show the weld failures on both sides of the hitch. The third picture shows the plate that we added to the trailer side.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0323.JPG
Views:	149
Size:	3.27 MB
ID:	8085   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0316.JPG
Views:	147
Size:	718.2 KB
ID:	8086   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0330.JPG
Views:	159
Size:	2.08 MB
ID:	8087  
08 2720 (swing hitch, bike receiver)
15 RAM 1500 4x4 with 3.0-liter EcoDiesel V6
RAM Integrated Brake Controller
Blue Ox Weight Distributing Hitch
Roy in Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:14 AM   #93
PopBeavers

You win.

Your weld failures are (were) worse than mine was.

Fortunately, for both of us, no one was injured and no property was damaged, other than the weld failure.
Old 01-07-2013, 03:49 PM   #94
Scottie Dogs

Hi,

On these broken welds on the swing hitch, I have noticed thru my time on the forum most of the TM owners are boon dockers, they go into the rough lands and bad roads (lots of stress on the TM). I have a swing hitch and my welds look good, but I think the owners of my trailer like me were on smooth roads and no bouncing around. We stay at full hook up campgrounds.

I am not sure if TM when they do the welds take in consideration of all the back country that our group does. The extra support is a good idea for non - hookup owners that like that style of camping, which I would do if I was 20 years younger in rough areas every trip out.

Just food for though

Dave
Old 01-07-2013, 05:26 PM   #95
PopBeavers

My failure occurred during the first year. All camping trips were on full pavement back in those days for us.

But it is a valid point in general.
Old 01-07-2013, 06:52 PM   #96
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy in Texas View Post
I described a similar failure this summer that I discovered while I was staying at Ft Sam Houston. I had to have a portable welder come to the site. I believe that the swinging side of the hitch failed first and then the additional stress caused the trailer side welds to fail. We ended up adding a small plate to the bottom of the trailer side of the swing hitch to stiffen the area where the weld broke.

The first two pictures show the weld failures on both sides of the hitch. The third picture shows the plate that we added to the trailer side.
Yours broke on the pivot side, on our 2011 there are two L-brackets welded to prevent that besides having the gusset on the bottom that popbeavers talks about.

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:00 PM   #97
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottie Dogs View Post
Hi,

On these broken welds on the swing hitch, I have noticed thru my time on the forum most of the TM owners are boon dockers, they go into the rough lands and bad roads (lots of stress on the TM). I have a swing hitch and my welds look good, but I think the owners of my trailer like me were on smooth roads and no bouncing around. We stay at full hook up campgrounds.

I am not sure if TM when they do the welds take in consideration of all the back country that our group does. The extra support is a good idea for non - hookup owners that like that style of camping, which I would do if I was 20 years younger in rough areas every trip out.

Just food for though

Dave
A couple of thoughts here:
One, once we drop of the pavement our speed is dropped to the 5 to 10 mph range depending on surface.
Two, our failure was the result of an improper weld (the bead had not adhered to the cross member) and enough play between the locking pin and cross member that the pin actually bent the cross member at the bottom.

Of course putting 10 to 12 thousand miles a year on our terrible paved highways may have something to do with it.

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:47 PM   #98
Roy in Texas

Scrubjaysnest - Can you post of picture of the new configuration that you mentioned. Your reply got me to thinking that addional reinforcing on the swing side might be a good idea.
08 2720 (swing hitch, bike receiver)
15 RAM 1500 4x4 with 3.0-liter EcoDiesel V6
RAM Integrated Brake Controller
Blue Ox Weight Distributing Hitch
Roy in Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 03:37 AM   #99
Scottie Dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy in Texas View Post
Scrubjaysnest - Can you post of picture of the new configuration that you mentioned. Your reply got me to thinking that addional reinforcing on the swing side might be a good idea.
I agree on this, a picture would be wonderful, thanks.

Dave
Old 01-16-2013, 04:42 PM   #100
thewayneo

Location: Evergreen, Colorado. Halfway between Heaven and Paradise at 8,100 ft altitude.
Default Minimize swing tongue weld cracks?

Most of my camping is at the end of long bumpy rough off-road trails. Ever since I read about owners finding cracks in the welds around the swing tongue, I've been thinking about that happening when I'm in remote places that don't have cell service. I can picture the tongue coming apart as I'm backing down a steep mountainside. I'm going on the theory that excessive play or slop in the pins might be a contributing shock factor. I ran this idea past a TM dealer. He mentioned that some owners can hear it slamming back and forth as they drive. I couldn't.

The dealer that I discussed this with felt that 2 bolts on the side that opens would be adequate and it would be half the work to bolt/unbolt if you use the swing feature. I never use the swing, so while I was drilling holes I did all four.

I took the weight off the tongue using the front trailer jacks, and there was indeed a good amount of play between the swing part and the frame. I drilled four 3/8” holes through the frame and right through the swing part. I put bolts through the frame, added two washers to take up the play between the two tongue parts, and tightened up the lock nuts. This made the pin so tight that I had to drive it in with a hammer. No more slop.

So this is one of those try-it-and-see things, maybe my welds would never crack, but I feel a little better about the situation! Now if I had a welder, I would certainly go that route of reinforcement.

wayne
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tmweldcracks1 (Medium).jpg
Views:	160
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	8105   Click image for larger version

Name:	tmweldcracks2 (Medium).jpg
Views:	158
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	8106  

2006 2619, with REAL Flush Toilet (Sealand), NEVER ANY HOOKUPS!!!
Five-inch lift, Goodyear Marathon 15" Made in USA!
2005 Ford Explorer V8 -- WDH w/active sway
1973 Moto Guzzi V-twin
thewayneo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch alignment, hitch failure, swing hitch