TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > General Maintenance and Cleaning
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-31-2002, 01:34 AM   #11
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine
Default Re: Shell Latch Mod / Entry Door Alignment / Slide

Quote:
The floor of the slideout is about 1 1/4 inch above the floor of the trailer. So, when stepping on the slideout floor along the centerline, the floor flexes downward as much as 1 1/4 inch.

Outside the trailer, with the slideout retracted, I cut out a 2.5inch x 2inch segment of carpet, on the trailer centerline, just where it meets the white fluffy seal. Then installed the 2.5inch x 2inch; x 1inch thick block with a couple of wood screws. When the slideout is pulled out, the floor of the slideout sits 1/4inch above the support block. *Result - minimum flex, and the sense of mushiness is gone. Advantage - simple to mod.

Denny_A
Denny -

This is a GREAT solution to a very annoying problem. I put a lot more effort into a very elaborate solution involving addition of another roller wheel. Your solution is very much simpler and just as effective - wish I had thought of it!

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2002, 10:35 PM   #12
RickNewcomb
Site Sponsor

Larry,

I can post your pictures on my webapge. Just email them to me at [email protected].

Rick
RickNewcomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2002, 04:22 AM   #13
KB7OUR

I bet it's just a matter of time before TM officially adopts something similar to Denny's mushy slideout*mod for all new slide out units. Of course, numerous owners who are encountering this same problem could tactfully encourage them * . They already adopted a fix for the front latch detachment problem and seem very receptive to perfecting their already excellent product. My kind of company!

Wade *
Old 11-01-2002, 10:21 AM   #14
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
I bet it's just a matter of time before TM officially adopts something similar to Denny's "mushy slideout*mod" for all new slide out units. Of course, numerous owners who are encountering this same problem could tactfully encourage them ...
Wade *
Oh, I've got to believe that someone at TM already monitors this site quite closely. A number of good ideas from this board have already showed up in the new designs. TM is a company that is small enough, nimble enough, and open-minded enough to react to this stuff - imagine trying to get Ford Motor company (for instance) to react to something on a discussion board or newsgroup. Now, I'm just waiting for some reaction to the GAWR issue ...

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2002, 10:46 AM   #15
KB7OUR

For < $1K TM could have a "killer" WEB site, including point of sale system for online ordering of accessories and parts. Maybe a potential TM customer could negotiate a nice discount on a new unit in return for performing some current technology upgrades to their WEB site. Need to update that old video too! ;D

On the other hand, it's wonderful to be able to actually speak with a human when you call the factory!!! This is so rare these days that I would not want to lose this personalized service.

Wade
Old 11-01-2002, 11:51 AM   #16
Larry_Loo

DenTed,

Your idea for taking the flexing out of a slideout's floor is an excellent one. It's simple and effective. After looking over my slideout, I measured a 3/4" gap between the floors. The gap of 1-1/4" in your 2720SL somehow is a lot greater than that in my 3124KS. I'll measure it more carefully and install a reinforcing block - When I get around to it in a couple of weeks. The block will probably be made out of UHMW (ultra high molecular weight polyethylene), since I have some scrap pieces on hand.

Rick,

It may be several weeks before I get to the repair of my holddown latches. After I take some pictures of it, I'll take you up on your offer and send the pictures to your website. Thanks.
Old 11-01-2002, 02:46 PM   #17
Denny_A
Former TM Owner

Quote:
DenTed,

Your idea for taking the flexing out of a slideout's floor is an excellent one. It's simple and effective. After looking over my slideout, I measured a 3/4inch gap between the floors. The gap of 1-1/4inch in your 2720SL somehow is a lot greater than that in my 3124KS. I'll measure it more carefully and install a reinforcing block - When I get around to it in a couple of weeks. The block will probably be made out of UHMW (ultra high molecular weight polyethylene), since I have some scrap pieces on hand.
LL,

If the carpet is in place, the distance from floor to underside of slideout, measures  3/4inch, as you say. The carpet + backing is 7/16inch thick. The carpet backing is 1/16inch thick. So when the floor flexes it can move as much as 1 1/8inch;. Therefore (horrors), you caught me in an error. The 1inch thick block sits only 1/8inch beneath the floor. As I indicated, the carpet was cutaway in order to install the support block. Therefore, since the floor only flexes 1/8inch before contacting the block, it's better than originally stated. I just finished carefully measuring the floor-to-block gap.

Henceforth, I'll keep my micrometer handy.

Denny_A
Denny_A is offline   Reply With Quote