TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Electrical
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-11-2010, 01:54 PM   #11
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochise View Post
Why is it that when someone ask a general question about something, the answer cannot be simple and general but has to be an academic thesis?
"Simply" put.......there is nothing "Simple" about the battery topic.

Many variables must be considered when recommending a battery. One "Simple" solution for one person may be adequate (especially if they always camp with hook-ups) and stated that fact. However, that same "Simple" solution may be completely wrong for someone that dry camps or another that uses a big inverter (like me) or another person that camps simply but uses solar panels.

The proper thing to do is to ask the OP what his electrical needs are, how he camps, how often, does he use solar panels (what size), does he have an inverter (what size), does he boon-dock or just dry camp, how big an issue is weight, what is his tow vehicle, does he have battery size restrictions, does he have a generator?................all of these factors and more may fit into the 12V vs 2-6V battery issue and what size & quality to go with.

BTW Cochise.........almost everything about your original answer was wrong.
Old 10-11-2010, 03:14 PM   #12
Joseph

Wink More is better...

Under most circumstances, as far as getting data to answer a question is concerned, I have found more is better. One can always sort out what pertains to what one is doing or going to do and go with what fits your needs the best. I prefer simple, but often times answers to problems are not. At least the first time you solve them....

To help out CLWpaddler - I use one deep cycle 12 volt. I forget the amps. Most I could afford at the time. But that is because I am plugged in to shore power most of the time. The times that I am not I have a home made solar solution that is portable that I throw up on the roof to trickle charge the battery. Improvise, Adapt, Overcome...
Old 10-11-2010, 04:09 PM   #13
PopBeavers

When I was in 8th grade, a very long time ago, when Mr. Hendricks when asked a simple question that did not have simple answer, would reply "How long is a dog's tail?"

It was not until the end of the year when we found out that the answer was "Long enough to suit that particular dog".

Seems to apply to "What battery do I need?" As well as several other not so simple simple questions.
Old 10-12-2010, 01:15 PM   #14
cochise

Quote:
Originally Posted by harveyrv View Post
"Simply" put.......there is nothing "Simple" about the battery topic.

Many variables must be considered when recommending a battery. One "Simple" solution for one person may be adequate (especially if they always camp with hook-ups) and stated that fact. However, that same "Simple" solution may be completely wrong for someone that dry camps or another that uses a big inverter (like me) or another person that camps simply but uses solar panels.

The proper thing to do is to ask the OP what his electrical needs are, how he camps, how often, does he use solar panels (what size), does he have an inverter (what size), does he boon-dock or just dry camp, how big an issue is weight, what is his tow vehicle, does he have battery size restrictions, does he have a generator?................all of these factors and more may fit into the 12V vs 2-6V battery issue and what size & quality to go with.

BTW Cochise.........almost everything about your original answer was wrong.
Could you please tell me what was wrong in my original answer.... I would like to learn....please
cochise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 01:36 PM   #15
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Could you please tell me what was wrong in my original answer.... I would like to learn....please
See post #6 in this thread.

Learning is what this site is all about. I learn new stuff on here all the time, which is a big reason I stick around.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 02:00 PM   #16
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Dave spelled it out pretty clearly but to make it more simple.......

A good rule of thumb for comparing batteries (other than the price tag) is to compare weights. The heavier battery will have more lead and thicker plates. If you can buy a 27 series 12V deep cycle battery that weighs (guestimate) 50#, it is a better quality than one that weighs 40# etc.

If you weigh the 2, 6V Trojan T105 deep cycle golf cart batteries, you will find that they weigh just over 100#. They cost about $150 (for the pair). Be sure to compare apples with apples (Compare 2 equaly size batteries). Bigger batteries will naturally be heavier.

When comparing capacity, using 2, 12v batteries, double the amp hours. When comparing 6V batteries, 2, 6v= 1,12V the AH rating stays the same (example------1, 6V battery may store 225AH. 2 (6V) batteries (wired in parallel) still stores 225AH @12V

The issue with batteries trying to equalize each other out can happen with any battery, even a single battery. One must understand that all of the wet batteries (that we might use on an RV) are made up of a series of 2V batteries. If a single cell (1 of the 2V batteries) gets week, it will pull down the entire battery or pair of batteries as it tries to equalize with the other cells.

2, 6V vs 2, 12V can be an issue. It is not common for 2 batteries to fail at exactly the same time. If one battery fails first (which is inevitable unless one replaces batteries before they fail) it will draw down the other battery. Using 2, 12V batteries has the advantage of being able to disconnect the failed battery and still have 12V. That is not an option if one has 2, 6V batteries. When using 6V batteries, quality is paramount and replacing at intervals (before failure) is a must.. If one is truly "boondocking", it may be wise to take along a spare 12V battery (at least a small one). That's what I do. I have a 48AH lithium battery that I charge and take along, just in case (it weighs about 12#).

BTW.......one can buy a single 12V deep cycle battery that has more capacity than 2 6V deep cycles. Batteries are built in a lot of different sizes and configurations.
Old 10-18-2010, 09:30 PM   #17
Brutus

Clwpaddler, hope this site helped you out. My 2 cents would be this: I've had both a single 12V deep cycle (of various sizes), and twin 6V golf cart batteries in RVs over the years. Currently using two 6V golf cart batteries. For me, the answer is "simple". The roughly 130 pounds of lead storage of two 6V bats lasts a lot longer dry camping than a much lighter single Group 24 size 12V bat. The 6V bats also do a better job holding charge for me in the off-season too (preserving overall battery life). Having said that, for my purposes I'll go back to a Group 27 12V when the 6Vs die. With the 6Vs mounted in the back storage compartment (to reduce tongue weight), it's too much of a pain (on the back) to remove them every winter for proper storage. If I were dry camping for several days at a time (without a generator) and doing this as my main type of camping, a pair of 6V bats would be the only way to go. As it is, I use the generator to resupply battery power during "generator-friendly" hours when dry camping, so a single 12V does just fine for us.

And welcome to the Trailmanor family!!
Old 10-18-2010, 09:52 PM   #18
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Brutus - As long as your batteries stay fully charged, they should be much more resistant to freezing. Has your car battery ever froze? Keeping them on a charger would be a good idea. According to this site, the freezing point of the electrolyte in a fully charged battery is -92 F.

Also, AGM batteries are more tolerant to freezing as well, being more resistant when not fully charged.

Just a thought.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 10:20 PM   #19
Brutus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShrimpBurrito View Post
Brutus - As long as your batteries stay fully charged, they should be much more resistant to freezing. Has your car battery ever froze? Keeping them on a charger would be a good idea. According to this site, the freezing point of the electrolyte in a fully charged battery is -92 F.

Also, AGM batteries are more tolerant to freezing as well, being more resistant when not fully charged.

Just a thought.

Dave
True enough Dave. No issues with freezing (that I know of). I'd like to put them on a battery tender or cheap solar setup with controller over the winter. Problem is the TM is kept day-to-day in an outside storage facility. The 65# 6V batteries are a bear to pull up and out of the rear storage compartment. I end up bringing the TM home once or twice in the winter and charging the bats that way. With lighter batteries that I can handle, I keep them in the garage over the winter (off the concrete) and use my Battery Tender Jr to keep them topped off. No biggie. Just part of the fun of me getting older...

Thanks,

Pat
Old 10-22-2010, 08:00 AM   #20
namklg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
Clwpaddler, hope this site helped you out. My 2 cents would be this: I've had both a single 12V deep cycle (of various sizes), and twin 6V golf cart batteries in RVs over the years. Currently using two 6V golf cart batteries. For me, the answer is "simple". The roughly 130 pounds of lead storage of two 6V bats lasts a lot longer dry camping than a much lighter single Group 24 size 12V bat. The 6V bats also do a better job holding charge for me in the off-season too (preserving overall battery life). Having said that, for my purposes I'll go back to a Group 27 12V when the 6Vs die. With the 6Vs mounted in the back storage compartment (to reduce tongue weight), it's too much of a pain (on the back) to remove them every winter for proper storage. If I were dry camping for several days at a time (without a generator) and doing this as my main type of camping, a pair of 6V bats would be the only way to go. As it is, I use the generator to resupply battery power during "generator-friendly" hours when dry camping, so a single 12V does just fine for us.

And welcome to the Trailmanor family!!
Hi,
I have been reading a lot here related to solar and batteries. We just picked up our 2720 and so far love it. We do have an 80W solar panel and one single battery. From what I understand, we should add at least 1 more to ensure appropriate power when camping without land lines. I want to add another battery, but to be honest, I have not even looked at the current one on the unit. I just got it last friday and drove back to Colorado.
Can you explain your choice to go back to the Group 27 12 v batteries?
And, where would you get these in your neck of the woods?

Thank you from a newbie TM owner.... TM 2720