TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Exterior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-16-2013, 07:24 PM   #11
MarkoPolo
TrailManor Master

Ask and ye shall receive... I got my newsletter today! And the link in color is very nice too.
I really want to see the idea of the screen door. I think most would really welcome it. Thanks for the replies.
MarkoPolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 04:10 PM   #12
Civil_War_Buff
Site Sponsor

Here are a couple pictures of my screen door. I need to tweak it just a touch, but I did this just before I closed it up for the winter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0624.JPG
Views:	232
Size:	1.15 MB
ID:	8410   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0625.JPG
Views:	220
Size:	1.20 MB
ID:	8411   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0626.JPG
Views:	227
Size:	741.4 KB
ID:	8412   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0632.JPG
Views:	226
Size:	814.9 KB
ID:	8413  
2016 KZ Spree Connect C250BHS
2003 Chevy Tahoe
Civil_War_Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 07:21 AM   #13
ThePair
TrailManor Master

Ahh. So upper half swings in, lower half swings out. Clever.

I'm going to have to give this one some serious thought. Got to make it kid-friendly, too.

Nice job, for sure.
ThePair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 07:26 AM   #14
countrygirl
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Civil_War_Buff View Post
Here are a couple pictures of my screen door. I need to tweak it just a touch, but I did this just before I closed it up for the winter.
I LOVE it.

We replaced the tires on the TM July 2017 I will update when I have time to get the specs

What's new...we went to all LED lighting and love them.

New 3/25/16 two new horizontal propane tanks.
countrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 08:24 PM   #15
Civil_War_Buff
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePair View Post
Ahh. So upper half swings in, lower half swings out. Clever.

I'm going to have to give this one some serious thought. Got to make it kid-friendly, too.

Nice job, for sure.
When I attached the hinges to the door frame, I noticed there is lots of room when the main door top was closed. I would think that if you put the hinges on the other side of the door frame but the same side of the door, it would swing outward with the lower half. The screen as I measure it is 35 1/4" long and 23 1/4 inches wide. One of the tweaks that I need to make is to take an additional 1/4" off the long side (35" instead) so it meets at the top of the lower door bracket. As it is now, it is slightly lower, so when I close the lower door with the screen in place, the bracket pushes the screen just enough to open it slightly. Another benefit of an outward swing would be you could close the slight gap with a trim strip on the inside and it would look like a factory install. I had put weather stripping on the edge of the screen to take up the gap, but I will replace that this spring with a white vinyl door sweep cut down fill the gap. I will do that this weekend so I can post pictures of what I am talking about next week if it's not clear.
2016 KZ Spree Connect C250BHS
2003 Chevy Tahoe
Civil_War_Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 08:42 PM   #16
ThePair
TrailManor Master

If it could be made to swing out that would obviously be best.

I am going to look at mine (hopefully) in the next day or two -- going out this weekend. This would really solve some issues I've been having.

Thanks!
ThePair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 08:36 PM   #17
LoveToCamp
TrailManor Master

Default Got my screen door fnished

I built a screen door for the upper half of the entryway on our 2417, very similar to Civil_War_Buff's. I used the hinges he linked to in his post. It has a hard frame (Kit purchased at Ace Hardware), and is hinged. HOWEVER, because the hinges are not inline with the lower-half hinge, we can't leave the screen in-place while using the lower. We will likely just put it in while we are inside the TM, as that is when we really want the screen portion. We want to be able to see out a bit more, and the screen will really help.

Anyway, I mounted my permanent hinge portions on the outside of the doorframe. I thought it may fit tighter that way. I did have to cut the hinge pins down, so the door could fit under the top of the frame, then slip onto the hinge pins. Used a dremel.

I used the same type of latch on the screen that the upper part of the TM door has, and can latch it just like the upper/lower latch. But, the upper part of the door does not fit snugly without help. I used the pull-tabs that came in the screen kit, but I think I will get some other latching mechanism to make it a tighter fit. I also have to put some weather-stripping on the hinge side, as there is a gap there.

I need to do a little more tweaking, and will post updated pics when I get the tweaks done. I may also take more pictures with better light (I finished it near dark last night). I couldn't get a good whole-screen picture from either side.

More pics can be seen by looking at the Modification album if you click on my Username. There are also explanations with each picture in my Album. Here are a few:

Name:	BottomHingeIn.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	8623 Click image for larger version

Name:	Handle.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	101.5 KB
ID:	8624 Click image for larger version

Name:	HingeFromOutside.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	8625 Click image for larger version

Name:	Latched.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	8626
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	OutsideTowardsFront.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	104.4 KB
ID:	8627   Click image for larger version

Name:	OutsideTowardsRear.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	106.6 KB
ID:	8628  
LoveToCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 05:18 AM   #18
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

Looks really great

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 08:38 PM   #19
countrygirl
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveToCamp View Post
I built a screen door for the upper half of the entryway on our 2417, very similar to Civil_War_Buff's. I used the hinges he linked to in his post. It has a hard frame (Kit purchased at Ace Hardware), and is hinged. HOWEVER, because the hinges are not inline with the lower-half hinge, we can't leave the screen in-place while using the lower. We will likely just put it in while we are inside the TM, as that is when we really want the screen portion. We want to be able to see out a bit more, and the screen will really help.

Anyway, I mounted my permanent hinge portions on the outside of the doorframe. I thought it may fit tighter that way. I did have to cut the hinge pins down, so the door could fit under the top of the frame, then slip onto the hinge pins. Used a dremel.

I used the same type of latch on the screen that the upper part of the TM door has, and can latch it just like the upper/lower latch. But, the upper part of the door does not fit snugly without help. I used the pull-tabs that came in the screen kit, but I think I will get some other latching mechanism to make it a tighter fit. I also have to put some weather-stripping on the hinge side, as there is a gap there.

I need to do a little more tweaking, and will post updated pics when I get the tweaks done. I may also take more pictures with better light (I finished it near dark last night). I couldn't get a good whole-screen picture from either side.

More pics can be seen by looking at the Modification album if you click on my Username. There are also explanations with each picture in my Album. Here are a few:

Attachment 8623 Attachment 8624 Attachment 8625 Attachment 8626
VERY nice.

We replaced the tires on the TM July 2017 I will update when I have time to get the specs

What's new...we went to all LED lighting and love them.

New 3/25/16 two new horizontal propane tanks.
countrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote