TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-14-2003, 02:21 PM   #11
RockyMtnRay
TrailManor Master

Default In my experience, the stRe: Towing Mirror Question

Quote:
In my experience, the straps hum because they stretch slightly when they get wet.  Just crank the handle a couple more clicks, and the noise should go away.  Later, of course, when they dry out, they get REALLY tight - but not to the point of causing any problems.
That's what I suspected was happening. But since wet travel conditions here in the Rocky Mtn region during the summer are almost exclusively associated with short duration (20 to 30 minute) thunderstorm passages, it's not enough of a problem to require a tension adjustment. Besides, doing so would mean that I, a person who's accustomed to semi-arid conditions, would have to go/reach outside and probably get wet. Blech.   ;D
RockyMtnRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2003, 12:06 PM   #12

Default Re: Towing Mirror Question

I expect that I'm like everyone else - I want workable equipment at the lowest price. I'm still "in process" when it comes to mirrors.  I've been reading the posts on this site and find the information valuable.  

Where is were I am -- when we made our maiden TM voyage I bought clip-on tow mirrors from Camping World (about $15 each).  We used them for two trips -- they were a headache to adjust and they vibrated badly at times (although they never came off even at 70 mph).

Well, thought that I would try something else (better).  Went to Camping World today and bought two CIPA Universal Tow mirrors. (about $30 each)  Same problems: hard to get adjusted and too much vibration.  They go back to CW for a refund.

Bottom line -- the next step is the McKesh mirrors (about $120 per set - wow; but from what I've read on this site they are worth it).  Does anybody have any idea about were to find the lowest price on the McKesh mirrors?
Old 06-15-2003, 01:09 PM   #13
hal

Go to www.hensleymfg.com for McKesh Mirrors on sale for $93.00 a set - On-line Special. I don't believe this includes the wide angle mirrors.  It seems that a few weeks ago, they were $97.00 per set.  Regularly they are $150.00 per set.  The small wide angle mirrors were $12.00 each.

Hal
Old 06-15-2003, 01:25 PM   #14
BobWilson
Site Sponsor

I bought a new 2720SD and bought the McKesh Mirrors from Hensley on-line.  Prompt service.  I didn't really didn't want to use them because they stick out so far and seemed like a hazard in themselves.  But after three trips  from the dealer and back through Los Angeles traffic I changed my mind.  They are great.  I bought the convex mirror for the right side but haven't put it on.  I don't think I need to.  I use the regular mirror which is a convex mirror on the right side of my Chevy Astro van, adjusted the same as normal and use the McKesh for seeing behind the trailer.  This works for me.

I do plan to make one modification and that is that where the plate fits over the gasket seal on the window I am going to put a spacer, one quarter inch piece of wood or something so that it doesn't compress my window seal so much.  I worry about a permanent set on the rubber.

On sale now for $93 without the convex mirrors at:
http://www.hensleymfg.com/mckeshmirrors.html

good luck,
Bob W.
BobWilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2003, 12:03 PM   #15
2619PDX

I too have noticed this hum. It does go away after the straps dry... All you have to do is crank them down a little tighter and voila...
I would highly recommend that you consider adding the convex side mirrors for that view down the side of your rig.

Gregg
Old 06-17-2003, 06:35 AM   #16
Cateye
Cateye

The CIPA mirrors worked great! only problem was a whistle from the open ends of the tightening knobs...put some kleenex to plug the holes...otherwise no problems
Cateye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 03:51 AM   #17
mjlaupp
Site Sponsor

I tried the clip-on and strap-on mirrors and did not like any of the products. I finally settled on a pair of 'OEM Extendable Replacement Mirrors' that I bought from JCW. They are pricey and are sized only for late model full size pickups and suvs. The same mirror is sold by Vision View. http://www.rpminnovations.com/towing...wing%20Mirrors

It took a while to get used to the larger mirror size. But, I wouldn't want to go back to the original mirrors now. All I have to do when I hook up is slide the mirrors out and I'm ready to go. I also have one of the wedge mirrors installed on each mirror.
mjlaupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2003, 05:45 PM   #18

Here I go again with my thrifty Camping World link again, but these little $10 to $15 dollar clip on mirrors with grooves and 2 rubber straps have worked like a charm on our 1999 Chevy Silverado 1500 4x4, and better than other more expensive models that fell off somewhere enroute or we had to have refunded due to some sort of fit/sizing issue. There's even change left over for a few little round mirrors to slap on top. Vibration isn't bad, I just want to see if someone is beside me; I don't need to read their license plate!

http://www.campingworld.com/browse/p...H&tcode=37

But wow, after looking at that McKesh site, I'd grab a pair of them; especially if they are on sale--less than $100/set!

Joan
Old 06-21-2003, 12:06 AM   #19
Windbreaker

I carry a set of those as backup just in case something happens to the McKesh. None of the slide ons worked on my truck.
Old 06-24-2003, 12:41 AM   #20

Finally, after having purchased and return two sets of CIPA type mirrors, I sent for the McKesh mirrors -- What A Difference.

Thanks to you who gave good advice when it comes to mirrors.  I really like the McKesh mirrors.  I'm glad there is such a board were people share ideas and experiences.