TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Plumbing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-16-2008, 05:47 AM   #11
grill-n-go
Site Sponsor

True, at 8 Lbs per gallon (30x8), 240 Lbs can be somewhat of a "goat wrestle" over rough terrain.

'03 2720SL
'07 Tundra 4X4
grill-n-go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 07:19 AM   #12
mtnguy

OK, since this thread has turned into a waste tote discussion, I have to add my .02.

Just because you buy a larger tote, doesn't mean you have to use all of the capacity. If you have the room to transport, and the bigger bucks, a larger tote is not a bad thing.......just don't fill it all of the way when you use it. The advantage of the bigger totes is that usually they have wheels (or bigger wheels) and a tow mechanism that the some smaller totes don't have.

We settled on a 15 gal. tote. I wouldn't want to manuver a full tank @ ~130 lbs over rough terrain by hand, but wouldn't mind towing it. If I need to dump 6 gal. of the black water tank water, then a gallon or 2 of gray water to flush the lines, then I have ~70 lbs. of weight....not too awful bad if I need to pull it manually. I can always come back a time or 2 and finish the gray tank.

The little bit of extra capacity should prevent accidental overfills. Plus you don't have to bend over as far to pull a bigger tote if you need to move it manually.

Chap
Old 02-20-2008, 08:49 PM   #13
larsdennert

These toilets work pretty well; as clean as a regular toilet and not like a porta potty or something. The same system is used on boats and airplanes. It makes for much less carrying of weight and waste of water. It also has great capacity compared to my brother in law's TT with a conventional flush unit. Toilet waste is waste no matter how much water you add. I wouldn't trade it. I run out of fresh water and gray capacity long before the toilet is full. I wouldn't cross them either for the backup and dumping issues. I thought the whole process of dumping was going to be a disgusting job but I got a www.sewersolution.com and it's great. Then again I've not tried the slinky.
Old 02-21-2008, 07:37 AM   #14
BabyTM

Thanks to everyone for your great responses and ideas. We will open the TM again this weekend and revisit the toilet situation. I have had: 3 pop-ups, 2 motorhomes and 6 travel trailers. None with this type of toilet. Perhaps my ignorance with regards to the toilet is scaring me. We will decide soon on whether to change toilet and use a tote.
Old 02-21-2008, 10:00 AM   #15
Scott O

We have no issues with the recirculating toilet used in the TM. In some ways it is an advantage as the weight of a full holding tank is eliminated if you can't immediately dump. I agree with larsdernnert in his use of the Sewer Solution hose. This makes emptying the toilet tank very clean and easy. The only possible issue with this method is that you lose the large 'whoosh' that you get when using a 3" hose and I figure there is a possibility that some solids could remain in the tank. The Sewer Solution hose does allow some backflushing, which helps. Also, at home, I ran a 2" pvc pipe from near our garage to our home sewer line clean out. I can reach it easily with the hose from the Sewer Solution. When we leave camp after dumping I add a few gallons of water to the toilet tank and allow it to slosh around as I drive home, breaking up any remaining solids. At home, I will fill the tank with clean water and redump. This seemingly leaves everything clean for the next use.
Old 02-21-2008, 12:02 PM   #16
grakin

I'll add my bit to this thread, and try to keep from drifting off the topic more...

As for the toilet, it's one of the better features of the TM IMHO - the tank rarely gets to "full" in my experience, and that is a big advantage. It means that you can still use the toilet if you need to. In a traditional design, if the blackwater tank is full or you run out of freshwater, you can no longer use the toilet. I find it less icky to have a toilet to use, even a recirculating one, than to not have a toilet because some tank is full or empty.
Old 02-21-2008, 02:29 PM   #17
mtnguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott O View Post
We have no issues with the recirculating toilet used in the TM. In some ways it is an advantage as the weight of a full holding tank is eliminated if you can't immediately dump. When we leave camp after dumping I add a few gallons of water to the toilet tank and allow it to slosh around as I drive home, breaking up any remaining solids. At home, I will fill the tank with clean water and redump. This seemingly leaves everything clean for the next use.
I do something similar with our toilet. During the non-freezing months, I add RV TEC 100 (an enzyme) to the toilet right after a camping trip, and as I am getting the TM ready for the next. I add just enough water to reach the pump, add the enzyme, and then circulate with the pump for a couple of seconds. I figure that that this enzyme sitting in the toilet, as well as sloshing around during travel to my next camping trip, will help eat away any solids that have remained from previous use. At the campsite, I then add Thetford Campa-Chem for odor control, even though the RV TEC 100 does smell decent.

I also back flush through the dump line every couple of trips. Even though we use our Thetford as a full function toilet , the screen and holding area looks clean and free of any solids.

Chap
Old 02-21-2008, 03:56 PM   #18
commodor47
Site Sponsor

Chap,

Where can I get RV Tech 100?

Dick
Albums
commodor47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 03:59 PM   #19
mtnguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by commodor47 View Post
Chap,

Where can I get RV Tech 100?

Dick
Wal-Mart is where I found it. Seems like good stuff.

Chap
Old 03-30-2008, 10:33 PM   #20
JOEALAN

Default How many gallons will the grey tank hold?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
I'm in full accord with T_C. Your Mom should not ever have to walk to the rest room (we don't), and the toilet should not in any way "creep you out". Do you have any specific questions? (We accept delicate phrasing here.) Have you reviewed the posts in the Plumbing forum? It's a big forum, but scrolling down through might help. Have you looked at the toilet tutorial in the TM Reference Library (aka TM Info You Won't Find Anywhere Else)?

There was, in fact, someone who talked about replacing his toilet - but I don't recall if he ever actually did it. And there was another thread, complete with photos, from a member who increased the size of the black water holding tank by adding a long length of 4" PVC pipe under the TM. But as I recall, he was quite satisfied with the toilet itself.

Two things are important. First, as T_C mentioned, DO NOT leave the toilet drain valve open all the time. Search for "black cone".

T_C usually mentions the second thing, too, but he may be sleepy today so I'll do it for him. You probably should NOT buy a tote with more than 10 gallons of capacity. Ten gallons of water is really heavy, and 20 or 30 gallons is impossibly heavy. Since the toilet holds 6 gallons, a 10-gallon tote will empty it at any time.

I'm serious about questions - it's what we do here. Is there anything we can help with? Ask by PM if you are uncomfortable asking in a public forum.

Bill

Here are a couple threads that might (or might not) be helpful.
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ead.php?t=5034
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ead.php?t=5059
Good evening or day Bill,

Thank you Bill, now I know the black water tank can hold a total of 6 gallons. Seem to be having a problem trying to find how much water the gray water tank holds? Trying to decide on what size tote to buy. Camping World has a 12 gallon on sale for $49.00, normally $69.00.

More incline to make several trips to the dump site than try to haul heavy loads.

Joe