TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Exterior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-22-2008, 01:36 PM   #11
Queeniereads

We replaced the screws with flathead screws. We agree that it was a wonderful purchase and has really made our trip to Maine (with multitudes of mosquitoes) so much easier. We are the folks who store our Select Comfort beds in the aisle when traveling, we put the screen between them.

Queen
Old 08-22-2008, 02:34 PM   #12
mtnguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali camping View Post
Chap,
The reason I replaced the screws and nuts that it came with was the clearance issue. I simply replaced the original fasteners with flush mount pop rivets. The TM is in storage now, so i can't take any additional pictures. As I recall there will be absolutely no room for anything on the "outdoor" side of the screen once it's mounted in the stowed position if you want to use the nylon clips from TM. I think the red locking handles would have at least another inch of clearance with the TM closed up using my method, but it obviously was hard to see!
Any chance you could remove your existing rivets and install some new ones that would make them flush mount on the side you needed?
cali camping, I have been ciphering the last couple of days of how to mount my screen. I think I am going to drill and screw in a eye bolt all of the way into the upright corner piece (it sits ~12" to the right of the storage door) in my storage compartment so the side (bottom now) can rest on that. I took the bottom bracket bolt out of the screen, and mounted a TM bumper pad to the outside of the screen with a longer screw there. I will glue another bumper pad to the rivet that I installed on the hinge side of the screen, so both of those bumper pads will rest up against the TM. I intend to follow your idea on the right side, and let it rest in a turn-button. I intend to use a bungee cord from either the bed handle or bed support to the eye bolt to secure everything.

The right side fits tight behind the bed support in the closed postion, but I wonder if the bed might move out a bit when traveling.....looks like plenty of room for that to happen and for the screen clamps in the offset area of the back shell.

If you can understand all of the above ramblings, I would appreciate any input on how you think that might work.

You don't have a patent on this idea yet, right.

Chap
Old 08-23-2008, 11:42 AM   #13
cali camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
cali camping, I have been ciphering the last couple of days of how to mount my screen. I think I am going to drill and screw in a eye bolt all of the way into the upright corner piece (it sits ~12" to the right of the storage door) in my storage compartment so the side (bottom now) can rest on that. I took the bottom bracket bolt out of the screen, and mounted a TM bumper pad to the outside of the screen with a longer screw there. I will glue another bumper pad to the rivet that I installed on the hinge side of the screen, so both of those bumper pads will rest up against the TM. I intend to follow your idea on the right side, and let it rest in a turn-button. I intend to use a bungee cord from either the bed handle or bed support to the eye bolt to secure everything.

The right side fits tight behind the bed support in the closed postion, but I wonder if the bed might move out a bit when traveling.....looks like plenty of room for that to happen and for the screen clamps in the offset area of the back shell.

If you can understand all of the above ramblings, I would appreciate any input on how you think that might work.

You don't have a patent on this idea yet, right.

Chap
Chap,
Sounds like a new twist on my method! Sounds like it would work fine though and if it doesn't the worst case scenario is you have a hole where you mounted the eyebolt.

When you say "TM bumper pad" what are you referring to?

2007 2720SD, Dual 80 watt solar panels, flat screen LCD TV mounted on side wall, 210 Ah AGM Battery, Link 10, Dual Honda 2000EUi's
Cadillac Escalade EXT, Prodigy
cali camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 11:58 AM   #14
mtnguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali camping View Post
When you say "TM bumper pad" what are you referring to?
The little round screw in bumpers (stops) found throughout the TM....ie, where the bathroom walls fold down, the forward inside part of the rear shell, the outside door roller stop, and several other places around the door. TM lists them as "white door bumpers", part # 18030.

I plan on just using a small shank eyebolt (probably no bigger than the screw on the turn knobs), just in case that mounting doesn't work, so that it will be a very small, hopefully un-noticable hole.

Chap
Old 08-23-2008, 12:33 PM   #15
cali camping

Quote:
The little round screw in bumpers (stops) found throughout the TM....ie, where the bathroom walls fold down, the forward inside part of the rear shell, the outside door roller stop, and several other places around the door. TM lists them as "white door bumpers", part # 18030.

I plan on just using a small shank eyebolt (probably no bigger than the screw on the turn knobs), just in case that mounting doesn't work, so that it will be a very small, hopefully un-noticable hole.

Chap
Got it...sounds like a nice afternoon project...good luck.

2007 2720SD, Dual 80 watt solar panels, flat screen LCD TV mounted on side wall, 210 Ah AGM Battery, Link 10, Dual Honda 2000EUi's
Old 08-29-2008, 09:11 AM   #16
DenandSue

Smile screen storage

WOW !! This is what I love about us TM owners!!! We are SO resourceful!!! I never thought about storing the screen outside under the bunk - fantastic idea! If we get more questions about storage, I will refer them to this thread.
Thanks for the inputs !!!

Dennis
D & S Screen
Old 09-17-2008, 02:39 PM   #17
mtnguy

After over 1000 miles, and several miles of 1 lane rutted mountain roads......and then the going got really rough going down the pig path in my avatar , I am happy to report that cali camping's idea on the screen storage worked out just fine. The only problem was that the weather was cool and wet where we camped in NW CT., so I didn't need the screen door.

You "beda man" with that great idea for the screen storage, cali camping.

Chap
Old 09-17-2008, 09:33 PM   #18
cali camping

Quote:
After over 1000 miles, and several miles of 1 lane rutted mountain roads......and then the going got really rough going down the pig path in my avatar , I am happy to report that cali camping's idea on the screen storage worked out just fine. The only problem was that the weather was cool and wet where we camped in NW CT., so I didn't need the screen door.

You "beda man" with that great idea for the screen storage, cali camping.

Chap

Thanks Chap! Glad it worked out for you...I'm a firm believer in working smarter not harder! I don't have a creative bone in my body, but my logic thought processes work overtime...my wife provides the creative balance!

Old 11-10-2009, 11:33 AM   #19
OneMoBear
TrailManor Master

Here I go digging up another older post but this one is so great! I can't get the original post to quote but it is #2 on this link. http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ead.php?t=7766

We haven't been able to get to the back of our TM since I found this but have tried it at the front and there is not enough clearance with the support arms (whatever they are called). Does anyone know if the clearance at the back is different than the front? Also, the original was a 2720 and ours is a 2619. I'm not sure if the storage they have at that location changes things.

Any ideas? Hopefully we can pull the TM out in the next few days and work on a couple of projects.

Thanks in advance!
Malinda
Thule for our tandem Hobie Kayak :-)
120w Solar Panel - 2.5" lift 15" Marathons
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
OneMoBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 12:19 PM   #20
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

I mounted mine that way, and it worked great. There is no reason why your TM should be different in the back. Fortunately it is easy to set the screen in place behind the bed support, slowly lower the shell, and confirm the amount of space by looking through the rear window (raise the rock guard, obviously) as the shell comes down.

In my opinion, this is one of the best ideas to come to the board. Many thanks again to Chip and Kat.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote