TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Appliances
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-28-2010, 09:04 PM   #11
brulaz

Our electric heater requirements are: 1500watts, small, *quiet* fan and a thermostat that really works.

Our current one is a standard wire coil heater (12"x12"x6") with two fan speeds ("low" is quiet) and a thermostat that turns the the heating element on/off. I was stunned to find out that it was made in Canada, not China.

We have oil filled heaters also, and they're very nice in the house but are heavy and don't have a fan.
Old 10-29-2010, 10:42 AM   #12
countrygirl
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
I'm very surprised that your electric heater smells after many hours of use. Most of them smell for the first few minutes, but after that, the smell abates.

I'm never very popular when I say this, but any 1500-watt electric heater puts out exactly the same amount of heat as any other 1500-watt electric heater. Every bit of electricity is converted to heat, so the same amount of electricity generates the same amount of heat. None of the frills - ceramic, quartz, oil, imitation flame look, or an Amish fireplace mantel - create any more heat. But they cost more, which is why they are so heavily advertised. And once he has paid extra for those things, the buyer thinks he must be getting more heat. It's the psychology of advertising, and it works.

A good fan-circulated portable electric heater (as opposed to a radiant heater) can be had for less than $25. To me, "good" means
1. A quiet multispeed fan
2. Thermostatic control
3. Internal overheat shutoff switch (shuts it off if airflow is blocked and the thing overheats)
4. Tip-over switch (shuts it off if the cat knocks it off the countertop, for example)
5. Conveniently small size.
6. Perhaps oscillation, though I'm not convinced that is really needed.

An earlier discussion took place here. I'm sure there is more.
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ead.php?t=6360

Bill

Bill

I have considered buying one of those Amish Fireplace manel heaters for my Aunt that lives up North. Now i am curious...since they are no more efficvient...is the adverising that they cost less to operate ...just advertizing hype??

We replaced the tires on the TM July 2017 I will update when I have time to get the specs

What's new...we went to all LED lighting and love them.

New 3/25/16 two new horizontal propane tanks.
countrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 10:43 AM   #13
allenj

Ditto on the Walmart basic ceramic heater, it's our primary heat source at most campgrounds. We generally point it towards the living area during the day and down the hallway at night. On moderate nights it's sufficient by itself, when it gets down into the 30s we set the gas furnace thermostat somewhere in the low 60s so it kicks in when the electric heater can't cope any more.
Old 10-29-2010, 11:43 AM   #14
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygirl View Post
Bill

I have considered buying one of those Amish Fireplace manel heaters for my Aunt that lives up North. Now i am curious...since they are no more efficient...is the adverising that they cost less to operate ...just advertizing hype??
Yes, it is a scam. They are no more efficient than any other electric heater - they can't be, since any and every electric heater is already 100% efficient.

They are certainly prettier than a $25 DeLonghi heater from WalMart, and if the look is worth an extra $250 for your aunt, go for it. But it won't give her any more heat, and it won't cost her any less to operate. Sorry.

In your question, you used the phrase "they cost less to operate". The question is, less than what? If you follow the advertising hype carefully, it says "...[It] is the best and easiest way to save money on gas bills by heating just the rooms you use the most." In other words, you can lower the thermostat on your furnace and let the house cool down, while keeping one room warm. And that may indeed save money. But you don't need the Amish fireplace to do that. You can do exactly the same thing with any electric heater.

I did a quick Google, and found this guy - who speaks my feelings pretty well.

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.h...e417901d9a88d3

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 11:47 AM   #15
LiveTicker

CountyGirl,

One model on Amazon is titled: Classic Flame Carver Amish-Style Oak Mantel and Electric Fireplace - 4600 BTU, 1350 Watts, Model# 23RM130OAK
So you don't get anymore HEAT than the $20 - 5000btu/1500watt units.
Good text and video: http://blogs.consumerreports.org/hom...ts-review.html
----------

also the EdenPure is getting alot of TV commercial time:
ConsumerReports says: Heating Claims Don't Add Up http://blogs.consumerreports.org/hom...h-heater-.html
----------

Amazon.com bad reviews on the HeatSurge / Amish heaters.
various quotes:

I purchased this item to heat a small trailer. After reading all the hype the company provides I thought this would be a good alternative heat source. NOT SO. When I called the company to return the item you are put thru the hoops.
...Then they have the nerve to charge you $50.00 for the return.
The heat surge has a two speed blower that forces heated air out the vents along the top of the heater. That heated air then rises to the ceiling and eventually may fill the room with heat.
...but upon close inspection your will find that the "solid wood" is plywood with a laminate or veneer covering.
The flames on mine frequently stop moving becuase the belt that drives the acetate film developed a flat spot.
Hi: The Amish people do not use Electricity.
If you watch the commercial. You will see actors with glue on beards impersonate Amish men. This is like saying Catholic's make Christmas Bulbs.
The wood is not what they say, but stained popular.
Worst of all the heater unit is made in China.
--------
Old 10-29-2010, 01:08 PM   #16
LiveTicker

To address the original question...

I also carry 1 or 2 electric space heaters if there will be power, and set the furnace if they don't suffice.
When there won't be electric, I carry my old Mr Heater Buddy(4000/9000btu) in case the furnace has another problem.
The Buddy can be used outside if a campfire isn't wanted or allowed.
Sometimes we bring an electric mattress pad & electric blanket.

Last year I bought a heated footrest for Grandpa at home. It works good with or without shoes. We are going to try it in the TM on the next trip.

This winter I am going to also try a electric rug/mat floor warmer (such as: http://cozywinters.com/cozy/) at home and in the TM. Grandpa likes the house at 80F! maybe I can keep him warm and set the house and TM at a normal temperature. He won't wear long-johns.

A heated towel warmer in the cold restroom would be nice...
Old 10-31-2010, 09:01 PM   #17
countrygirl
TrailManor Master

Thanks Bill and live ticker!

We replaced the tires on the TM July 2017 I will update when I have time to get the specs

What's new...we went to all LED lighting and love them.

New 3/25/16 two new horizontal propane tanks.
countrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 01:17 PM   #18
Tom-417

I couldn't get the furnance to stay lit this past weekend. It worked fine last fall. I would suspect the thermocouple but I was still holding in the pilot light button. I wasn't wearing my watch but everytime I got to a count of 22, the pilot flame would flicker a little and then go out. I would suspect the wind was blowing it out but every time at a count of 22? My guess is the valve, but I was wondering if anyone else had experienced a similar problem.

I did have a vandal pull my tanks off the tongue and because the regulator leaked afterwards, I had to replace the regulator for the tanks. I soap & water tested all the connections after installation.

I successfully lit the oven and hot water heater and they worked as expected. (Enjoyed hot bisquits.)

This old boy scout had an electric (1500 watt) ceramic back up that saved the weekend.
Old 11-01-2010, 03:58 PM   #19
Bigbit

I use a $30 Lasko ceramic heater that I got at Lowe's. It has 2 fan speeds and a thermostat. Does the job and is quieter than the gas furnace. As a previous poster commented, the electricity comes at no additional charge with an overnight site fee whereas I have to pay for the propane.

I sit the unit on the kitchen countertop in my Elkmont facing the bed: the unit has worked well down to 45 degrees (the coldest it usually gets camping here in So Cal).
Old 11-01-2010, 05:24 PM   #20
rumbleweed

A 1500 watt heater running for 1 hour at 100% efficiency generates approximately 5100 BTU of heat energy regardless of the make or model of the heater. This means that a generic 1500 watt heater will produce essentially the same amount of heat as a 1500 watt Amish miracle heater. Although the Amish produce a little bit fancier heater, they have not learned how to defy the laws of physics.