TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Interior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-16-2012, 06:06 PM   #11
Don & Ginger

Default Counter Top

Here is a link to what we used, we have nothing to do with the company and have only used the product, some people say they have seen it at Walmart.
The link will show you how to apply it also.
http://gianigranite.com/learnhowcountertoppaint.html
Old 03-20-2012, 03:48 PM   #12
JapChinLvr

I'm diggin' the butcher block top over the stove - did you make that as well?
Old 03-20-2012, 04:00 PM   #13
Don & Ginger

Default Counter tops

Yes my husband made it out of oak, he glued it up , ran it through the planer, stained it with golden oak and applied 5 coats of wipe on poly.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:16 AM   #14
PopBeavers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don & Ginger View Post
Yes my husband made it out of oak, he glued it up , ran it through the planer, stained it with golden oak and applied 5 coats of wipe on poly.
I was always nervous with cutting food on a stained or painted surface. All I have ever done with wooden cutting boards and wooden spoons is to periodically rub vegetable oil on them and let it soak in.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:46 AM   #15
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopBeavers View Post
I was always nervous with cutting food on a stained or painted surface. All I have ever done with wooden cutting boards and wooden spoons is to periodically rub vegetable oil on them and let it soak in.
FYI - it is not a good idea to treat wood spoons and cutting boards with cooking oils, like vegetable, canola, or corn oil. These oils can quickly become rancid, and that will ruin your material -- or at least force you to vigorously clean it, and even that may not make it useable. Instead, use mineral oil, usually found in the over-the-counter drug aisle. It's a laxative, so it's save for food prep, it's cheap, and it won't turn nasty over time.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 01:22 PM   #16
Don & Ginger

Default Counter tops

We didn't mean to worry anyone, it is a stove cover for additional counter space, not a cutting board.
Old 03-21-2012, 02:10 PM   #17
PopBeavers

Quote:
We didn't mean to worry anyone, it is a stove cover for additional counter space, not a cutting board.
It is common to find cutting board/butcher block boards that are over-sink in some homes. It just seemed to me that any board over either the sink or the stove would be useful as a cutting board. Counter space is so limited.

I have a board to cover the top of the stove when we need extra counter space and the stove is not in use. It is a section of hardboard (Masonite). It is so thin it fits under the mattress for storage.
Old 04-25-2012, 12:14 PM   #18
bren_ca

Quote:
Ginger wanted to update the counter tops in the TM, here are pictures of the before and after let us know what you think.
We had already done this in the house about 2 years ago and they have held up really well.
Wow! I LOVE this idea! It looks great! Great idea for the stove cover as well.
Brenda
Old 08-25-2012, 05:39 PM   #19
OneMoBear
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Here is a link to what we used, we have nothing to do with the company and have only used the product, some people say they have seen it at Walmart.
The link will show you how to apply it also.
http://gianigranite.com/learnhowcountertoppaint.html
Loved it! Decided to go with the Chocolate Brown because all of our covers are tan. Then those dang blue drapes just looked so old and faded . . . here we go again . . .
Thule for our tandem Hobie Kayak :-)
120w Solar Panel - 2.5" lift 15" Marathons
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
OneMoBear is offline   Reply With Quote