TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Electrical
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-20-2017, 06:15 PM   #11
Kidkraz
Site Sponsor

I have used a Mr Heater Buddy several years now, with both my popup and the TM. It keeps my 2619 warm enough when it's on low. I only once had to turn it up to high, but the temp drop to the mid 30's. I have a weak battery, so I've been using this heater more this year. I know several people who use these thru the night, they crack the ceiling vent open to prevent problems.
2016 Dodge Ram 1500 V8 Hemi
Installed powered folding tow mirrors

Stopped playing with airplanes, now I just enjoy watching them fly by.
Kidkraz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 07:22 PM   #12
Larryjb
TrailManor Master

For the Columbia Icefield, it looks like I'd need the Olympian due to the elevation.

2002 Tahoe
2008 4.6 Explorer
2001 2720SD

Various TM images that you may or may not find elsewhere:
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/forum/album.php?u=11700
Larryjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 07:54 AM   #13
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidkraz View Post
... I know several people who use these thru the night, they crack the ceiling vent open to prevent problems.
Good reminder, Kidkraz. When using any unvented catalytic heater, you need to crack that vent for two reasons.
o The heaters consume oxygen (they have a low oxygen sensor, but ...), and you need to replace it.
o The heaters produce moisture, and you need to vent it out of the trailer.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 08:50 AM   #14
Larryjb
TrailManor Master

My impression is that the Olympian is much more efficient and can be easily fitted to the low pressure side of the propane system of the TM. I understand that it's best to tee off from a line outside the TM rather than an interior line. I'd also assume that, because it is more efficient, it will consume less oxygen, and produce less water vapour.

The Mr. Heater Buddy is quick to set up, but seems to generally need the small bottles of propane. Some people report that the small bottles last just a night. Also, the fact that the Heater Buddy won't work above 7000 feet or so, it needs more oxygen than the Olympian.

In either case, as Kidkraz reminds us, keep a window open to allow fresh oxygen in.

2002 Tahoe
2008 4.6 Explorer
2001 2720SD

Old 06-21-2017, 01:18 PM   #15
tentcamper
TrailManor Master

We have the wave-8. Used it a lot with our canvas Popup. Have not used it with our TM, It worked very well. We would set the furnace thermostat to about 65 and run the wave. Furnace would come on maybe once an hour when 30 degrees outside.

We would keep one of out roof vents open about 1 - 1.5 inches to let the moisture out and replenish the oxygen. The catalyst process; one of the byproducts is H2O.

Keep thinking I need to mount it in the TM.
tentcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 02:23 PM   #16
Bill
Site Team

Larry -

There is a lot of misinformation about these heaters, and I think you have spotted some of it.

Quote:
My impression is that the Olympian is much more efficient and can be easily fitted to the low pressure side of the propane system of the TM. I'd also assume that, because it is more efficient, it will consume less oxygen, and produce less water vapour.
I don't think this is right. Both the Olympian and the Mr Buddy are catalytic heaters [EDIT - there is question about whether Mr Buddy is a true catalytic unit], and catalytic heaters (as opposed to flame-type heaters) are virtually 100% efficient. Propane+oxygen in -> complete combustion -> CO2+water+heat out. A given amount of propane will produce a given amount of heat - no difference. Lower efficiency would imply that there are some unwanted waste products, which would be dangerous in a closed area.

Quote:
I understand that it's best to tee off from a line outside the TM rather than an interior line.
I'm not sure why this would be true, presuming that the installer can make a leak-proof fitting.

Quote:
The Mr. Heater Buddy is quick to set up, but seems to generally need the small bottles of propane. Some people report that the small bottles last just a night.
The Mr. Heater Buddy operates from high-pressure propane right out of the bottle. You can use the small 14-oz or 16-oz disposable bottles of propane, or you can use an extension hose from a portable 5-pound bottle or from the 20-pound bottles on your trailer tongue. By contrast, the Olympian operates from low-pressure propane, just like all the TM's built-in appliances. This means you must connect it to the propane supply after the TM's pressure regulator. This difference can be an advantage or a disadvantage, depending on how you intend to install and use it.

Quote:
Also, the fact that the Heater Buddy won't work above 7000 feet or so, it needs more oxygen than the Olympian.
The Heater Buddy has a low-oxygen sensor, which is a safety feature. The heater will shut off if the oxygen level in the room gets too low. This could happen because all the oxygen has been consumed (a fatal mistake!), or it could happen because air contains less oxygen at high altitude. I don't know if the Olympian has an oxygen sensor, but I would want to be sure before I bought one.

Quote:
In either case, as Kidkraz reminds us, keep a window open to allow fresh oxygen in.
Old 06-21-2017, 04:17 PM   #17
tentcamper
TrailManor Master

Im not sure Mr Buddy js a catalytic heater??? Every thing I read Mr Buddy is not. I know the wave is.

The Big concern with both these heaters is if you deplete or lower the oxygen in the cabin. Then the heaters does not burn efficiently. Very bad for you. That is why you have to leave a vent or window open a inch or so.
tentcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 04:40 PM   #18
Bill
Site Team

Art and Joyce -

I'm embarrassed to say that you may be right. I'm still researching it, because I was sure that mine says "catalytic", but if there is an error, I want to correct it ASAP.

The Mr Buddy is advertised as vent-free, 99.9% efficient (which is the same as an Olympian), and certified safe for indoor non-vented use in every state and Canada. When I run mine, there is no sign of a flame - just the glowing fiberglass mat that looks exactly like the ones in cat heaters like Olympian and others. But I haven't yet found the word "catalytic". I believe that everything else is correct, including statements about efficiency and safety, but until I find it, I will pull the statement above.

Thanks for the tip.

Bill
Old 06-21-2017, 05:00 PM   #19
Larryjb
TrailManor Master

Given the price of the Mr. Buddy, I doubt it's catalytic. Platinum is very expensive and I'm not sure that they could make a catalytic heater for that price. I could be wrong, though. Honestly, I haven't looked into the Mr. Buddy much because it won't be any use to me at the Columbia Icefield.

I would consider what the efficiency is for heat production. It may be 99.9% efficient for converting C3H8 + O2 -> CO2 + H2O, but the energy produced may be in the form of both heat and light. If the Olympian produces mostly radiant heat and little light, it may be more efficient in the production of heat. Bill wrote that he see a glowing fibreglass mat on the Buddy. Does anything actually glow on the Olympian?

Even though I know I can only with the Olympian, this discussion has raised some very fascinating questions for me. If I had the money I'd buy both and start testing them out!

2002 Tahoe
2008 4.6 Explorer
2001 2720SD

Old 06-21-2017, 05:13 PM   #20
Larryjb
TrailManor Master

According to each website:

Mr. Buddy:
http://www.mrheater.com/faqs/general...ndoors-safely/

99.9% efficient

Olympian:
http://www.camco.net/product/wave-6-...-heater-10320/

99.98% efficient.

I know we're talking about a 0.1% improvement in efficiency. Still, I wouldn't be surprised that there's a difference in the type of energy output.

2002 Tahoe
2008 4.6 Explorer
2001 2720SD