TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-12-2007, 10:03 AM   #11
2bcs1jrt

My Coleman tent trailer came with a single propane tank. It had a vinyl cover that had velcro up the side, a zipper on top and a draw string on the bottom. Very easy to access valves and to remove for refilling. Have tried to find another (2 actually) for the TM but no luck.

Cheri
Old 10-12-2007, 06:45 PM   #12
PopBeavers

I have often wondered why people cover their propane tanks. I have no interest in cute, only functionality.

I can see that for the low horizontal tanks that kicking up rocks is perhaps an issue. My tanks on top just don't seem to have the same risk.

I see from the item description that they claim it reduces rust. I have never had any problems with rust on the tank for my BBQ in the back yard. It got retired after about 12 years because of the new valve design. The propane tanks on my TM are mostly in the garage because that is where the TM is when not weekend camping.

So, as far as I can tell, propanes covers will not make much difference to me. Someone please correct me if my conclusion is wrong.
Old 10-12-2007, 08:55 PM   #13
Freedom

The propane tanks on my TM are mostly in the garage because that is where the TM is when not weekend camping.

Did you know that you're not supposed to store propane tanks inside a building? Osha and Wisha (Washington State version of Osha) made us put our propane tanks in a separate explosion proof connex box when I worked for the military.
Old 10-12-2007, 10:14 PM   #14
Paul_Heuvelhorst

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom View Post
Did you know that you're not supposed to store propane tanks inside a building?
I am not aware that this a "law" in California... if it is, I've been breaking it for many years. We put our trailer into covered storage at the local fairgrounds each winter, to keep it out of the snow. However, before taking it to the fairgrounds I remove the propane tanks, cover, and 1 battery. They get stored in our garage. The second battery comes home with me after the trailer is delivered for storage... it serves to operate the emergency break-away switch for the brakes, in the event the trailer comes loose... never has in over 15 years of towing... but, that is a safety issue.

Last year, after we took our trailer out of storage, one of the exhibition buildings where they store trailers and boats caught fire and burned to the ground along with everything that was in it. This year when we delivered our trailer (Sept. 28) they asked if we had removed the propane tanks. It is an insurance issue for them now, but to the best of my knowledge it is not state required..

Again, not a bad requirement, but there is no source of flame in our garage, so I am comfortable keeping the tanks securely stored in the garage.
Old 10-13-2007, 07:18 AM   #15
Freedom

Propane Tank Safety Tips

* Using soapy water, check tank and valve for leaks. Open the valve but leave the appliance off while testing. See the side of your Blue Rhino tank for more info.
* Never store a spare tank beneath a grill.
* Always store tanks upright.
* Never store a tank in temperatures of 125 degrees F or more.
* When transporting, secure tank upright in a well-ventilated area of your vehicle. Drive directly to where it will be used. Do not allow tank to sit in a vehicle unattended.
* Never use or store a propane tank indoors.
* If storing grill indoors, disconnect tank. Move tank to a secure, well-ventilated location outdoors.
* Do not try to repair a damaged tank or tank valve.
* Take a damaged tank to a qualified propane supplier for repairs or disposal.
* Ensure the tank valve handle is in the "Closed" position when the tank is not in use.
Old 10-13-2007, 08:58 AM   #16
PopBeavers

I will just have to store the propane tank in the back yard in the hot sun.

Where else would you put them?

What about the 1 gallon propane (green) bottles for small camping stoves. Stores have these by the dozens.

What about the propane tank for the outdoor BBQ? When these get rolled into the garage for the winter, do you just leave the propane bottle on the patio?
Old 10-14-2007, 02:03 AM   #17
Alrhall

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali camping View Post
I'm curious...what exactly is the tow rating on a 93 Volvo 945?
3500/350 lb

See my post under Tow Vehicles for rest of the story.
Old 10-14-2007, 05:53 PM   #18
Paul_Heuvelhorst

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom View Post
Propane Tank Safety Tips

* Using soapy water, check tank and valve for leaks. Open the valve but leave the appliance off while testing. See the side of your Blue Rhino tank for more info.
* Never store a spare tank beneath a grill.
* Never store a tank in temperatures of 125 degrees F or more.
* When transporting, secure tank upright in a well-ventilated area of your vehicle. Drive directly to where it will be used. Do not allow tank to sit in a vehicle unattended.
* Never use or store a propane tank indoors.
* If storing grill indoors, disconnect tank. Move tank to a secure, well-ventilated location outdoors.
* Do not try to repair a damaged tank or tank valve.
* Take a damaged tank to a qualified propane supplier for repairs or disposal.
* Ensure the tank valve handle is in the "Closed" position when the tank is not in use.
Jim,
With all due respect to you and the safety issues about handling propane containers, I offer the following:
*My tanks are stored upright, with the cover over them, under steel shelving in my garage, so they aren't in the way of getting hit by the cars.
*During the winter months, the temperature in the garage never exceeds 50 degrees F.!
*Although attached to our house, I don't consider the garage "indoor storage" for the tanks given the fact that no source of ignition is present. Our local fire department has OK'd such storage.
*When the tanks need to be filled, I always transport them in the back seat floor of the truck or the car so they are upright.
*Our grill stays connected to its propane tank all year, and we store it on the outside wall of the garage, on our covered entrance. There is no room for it in the garage with both cars there, and it gives us the option of grilling during the winter, if we desire.

Your suggestions are "right on." I'm just suggesting that there are other safe ways to handle and store propane tanks that keep the risk factor at a minimum.
Old 10-15-2007, 09:07 AM   #19
ragmopp

This is news to me. My TM has been packed away in the garage. Do I really need to remove the tanks and stand upright?

Mike Anderson
Old 10-15-2007, 09:26 AM   #20
mtnguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragmopp View Post

This is news to me. My TM has been packed away in the garage. Do I really need to remove the tanks and stand upright?

Mike Anderson
ragmopp,

I believe this just applies to standard LP tanks. The horizontal tanks on the slides are designed to be used like that, so I would think you would store them in the same position.

I usually park my TM outside, but on occasion have put it in the garage, with no thought to the propane tanks.....but I might think again on that. I would think they should be OK without direct flame impingement, but should that should happen, Katie bar the door. I have seen a 100 gal. propane tank outside of a structure fire BLEVE (Boiling Liquid Expanding Vapor Explosion).....it was not a pretty sight. The tanks shouldn't be a problem by themselves, but would be a concern in case of fire.

I do store about 40 gals. of gas in my garage......they are hanging under my vehicles.

Chap