TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Exterior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-04-2007, 02:08 PM   #11
countrygirl
TrailManor Master

We have two windows with the crinkled white seal...will the years warranty cover them replacing the seal?
countrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 08:01 PM   #12
cali camping

Sorry it's taken me so long to get back to you all on this. Ed from TM sent me enough seal to replace all the window seals which I did this week. I plan on letting the seals sit till the next time I take the TM out for a trip which is currently planned for early August. I will use the silicone spray technique as added insurance. I noted that some of the seals were not seated all the way in the groove when I went to remove them, and I'm hoping this was key to the problem...I made sure when I installed the new ones I seated them fully in the groove. I found no info on the Hehr window website.

Will report back in August to let you all know how they worked!

2007 2720SD, Dual 80 watt solar panels, flat screen LCD TV mounted on side wall, 210 Ah AGM Battery, Link 10, Dual Honda 2000EUi's
Cadillac Escalade EXT, Prodigy
cali camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 12:30 PM   #13
cali camping

I had the TM out and checked out the window operation after doing all the previously mentioned fixes and the verdict is...no change! Very frustrating! I will call or email Ed at the factory and see what he says, but I don't hold much hope.
The problem occurs when the sliding glass causes the white seal to fold in and eventually block the window end from entering the channel. There is only one way to fix it...go outside and move the seal out of the way.
The channel that the movable glass rides in has drain ports cut into the exterior channeling portion to let any water that gets into the channel drain out.
I'm quite confident the exterior white seals we are all having trouble with serves two purposes. First it limits the amount of water that can get into the channel because the drain ports can only drain off so much water. Second, it reduces wind noise. When the window is fully seated in the channel, it would not allow much water, if any, inside.
I have considered cutting approximately 1/16" to 1/8" off of the seal lip to allow the glass to slide while still doing a minimal job of sealing.
Once again I will have to update you all down the line...

2007 2720SD, Dual 80 watt solar panels, flat screen LCD TV mounted on side wall, 210 Ah AGM Battery, Link 10, Dual Honda 2000EUi's
Old 09-15-2008, 09:23 PM   #14
Goodyear Travels

Don't count on warm weather to provide a solution. 115 degree days in Phoenix doesn't seem to lessen the problem. I'll probably try some silicone on both sides of the seals on our '07 2720sl and see if they seat better in the corners.

I'm guessing that the seals' synthetic, rubber compound is probably UV resistant and this may result in a less pliable material. Maybe longevity is the trade-off for crinkled corners ??? I was concerned at one time but haven't noticed any water penetration and kind of "let go" of the issue, but I understand others' concerns and would still welcome a solution.
Old 09-16-2008, 06:17 AM   #15
Mr. Adventure
TrailManor Master

We had 4 windows with this problem when we bought our TM last year. I used my fingers to flex the seal out of the way just before closing them when we put the trailer away last fall. This year, I don't think they've snagged again.
Prodigy brake controller.

"It's not how fast you can go, it's how fast you can stop an RV that counts."
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 10:51 AM   #16
mcgyver210
TrailManor Master

Our new one also has this problem with some but not all the windows. I also figured out the only way to close was to go outside & move the weather stripping out while closing the window. Until seeing this post I thought it was just needing some time for breaking in.

2008 3023
2016 Ford F150 Platinum FX4
2003 Land Rover Discovery
EAZLift 1000lb WDH & Sway Control
Tekonsha P-3 Trailer Brake Controller - Proportional

http://www.hickscarpetcare.com/forum...mpSite2008.jpg
mcgyver210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 01:26 PM   #17
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

I have not experienced this problem, so this thought is totally out of the blue.

If you bend anything, such as a piece of copper pipe, the length along the outside of the finished bend is longer than the length along the inside of the finished bend. This means that the material on the outside of the bend has to stretch as it's being bent, and the material on the inside of the bend will try to compress. Since most materials won't compress, the material on the outside of the bend has to stretch even more. If you bend a piece of pipe and don't make provision for this to happen, the pipe will collapse along the inside of the bend - often called "kinking". If you have hand-bent a piece of copper pipe, or tried to bend a piece of steel conduit without an electrician's bending tool, you know what I mean.

So anyway, it is apparent from the picture in the first post that this is what has happened. The puckering along the inside of the bend is the material trying to compress (it puckers instead). And it happens because the material along the outside of the bend hasn't stretched.

This suggests that you might pull out the piece of material that goes around the bend, and stretch it a bit as you restuff it back into the opening. Don't stretch it too much, or it will pull away from the bend. But a small stretch ought to reduce the puckering along the inner edge, and perhaps solve the problem of the window glass grabbing the pucker.

Remember - a grain of salt here! But it is easy to try.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 09:36 PM   #18
cali camping

Bill,
My window seals no longer pucker like the picture in post #1, although I still have the window closing problem. Your tip might work for those that have the pucker problem though...

Old 12-05-2008, 07:54 PM   #19
photoadjuster

Default Is there a fix for this

Has anyone resolved this problem. The 2006 we purchases last week has it. None of the windows will close far enought to latch.

Regards,
Mike Stephenson
Old 12-27-2008, 02:27 PM   #20
cali camping

I'm happy to report, the window seal problem has gone away. The sad part is I can't tell you why! I don't know if it is because enough time has gone by and the seals are now formed to the window or because I used all the seal lubricant methods I could think of, but I no longer have any window seal problems and I can open all my windows without fear of never getting them closed completely!