TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Electrical
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-22-2010, 09:11 AM   #21
PopBeavers

Quote:
Originally Posted by namklg View Post
Hi,
I have been reading a lot here related to solar and batteries. We just picked up our 2720 and so far love it. We do have an 80W solar panel and one single battery. From what I understand, we should add at least 1 more to ensure appropriate power when camping without land lines. I want to add another battery, but to be honest, I have not even looked at the current one on the unit. I just got it last friday and drove back to Colorado.
Can you explain your choice to go back to the Group 27 12 v batteries?
And, where would you get these in your neck of the woods?

Thank you from a newbie TM owner.... TM 2720
Fromm what I have read on various RV forums:

Both batteries should be the same size (group) and close to the same age. I have a pair of group 24 Interstate Marine/RV, because it came with one of those, so I matched it.

When they die, they were purchased in March 2005, I will replace them with a pair of group 27 deep cycle batteries.

Because my batteries are on the front and because I have the swing tongue I can not install anything taller. I also do not have enough width to put in a pair of group 31s. There is no room to do it differently that I can see.

I used to camp for 3 days with 5 adults and the batteries were enough. Since then we purchased two ATVs and 3 motorcycles. Just in case the batteries in the toys die, I take along a portable smart charger, which means I also need to always have my generator with me.

The only value to me for having more battery capacity than a single battery provides is that I do not need to run the generator as often.

If I leave the toys at home, I would not take my generator with me for a three day weekend. After 4 days I begin to get nervous, so I take the generator. It is'nt that big or that heavy and I already own a Honda 2000.
Old 10-22-2010, 09:24 AM   #22
Brutus

Quote:
Hi,
I have been reading a lot here related to solar and batteries. We just picked up our 2720 and so far love it. We do have an 80W solar panel and one single battery. From what I understand, we should add at least 1 more to ensure appropriate power when camping without land lines. I want to add another battery, but to be honest, I have not even looked at the current one on the unit. I just got it last friday and drove back to Colorado.
Can you explain your choice to go back to the Group 27 12 v batteries?
And, where would you get these in your neck of the woods?

Thank you from a newbie TM owner.... TM 2720
Hi Nam,
choice of battery setup really comes down to individual needs. For me, a single Group 27 battery is plenty because I don't do a lot of extended (multi-day) dry camping. And when I do, I have my generator with me for recharging. A pair of 6V golf cart batteries definitely work better for serious extended dry camping. As we don't do serious extended dry camping, I'd rather not carry the extra weight. As to where I get batteries locally, I actually buy reconditioned batteries from a dealer in Wisconsin. I get back there fairly often to see family...

For your situation, suggest you take your camper out dry camping and then you'll know if you need a second battery. (Be careful wiring the two batteries together if you do.) And remember to disconnect the camper from the tow vehicle when you dry camp... From what I've read in the Solar Power section, 80W isn't much, but maybe it's enough for you. In my lifetime, I've run various camper's batteries (all single 12V) down to zero just a few times. When it happened, we knew it would die because we ran things like a 12V TV continously. In my more serious dry camping adventures (read when I was much younger), I took steps to make the little 12V battery last: Carry water in 5 gallon jugs, take battery-operated lanterns/flashlights and propane lanterns, use the outhouse, minimize running the heater etc etc. With a little forethought, we could last a week out in the boonies without any recharge.

BTW, what year is your TM?
Old 10-22-2010, 09:28 AM   #23
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopBeavers View Post
Because my batteries are on the front and because I have the swing tongue I can not install anything taller. I also do not have enough width to put in a pair of group 31s. There is no room to do it differently that I can see.
Wayne - You could always move your batteries to the rear compartment, and then size wouldn't be an issue.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 11:24 AM   #24
PopBeavers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShrimpBurrito View Post
Wayne - You could always move your batteries to the rear compartment, and then size wouldn't be an issue.

Dave
The rear compartment is already full:

Pit-2-Go
three 25 foot water hoses
horseshoes with 2 stakes
tools and parts
2 collapsible trash barrels
rope
small propane grille

I like to keep this stuff back there because I use it all most every trip. The alternative is to store in in my truck and load/unload it at both ends for every trip. But there is not much room left in the truck.

Like I have said many times, I take a lot of stuff. Th TM 2720 is maxed out. A GMC 2500HD has a full back seat (crew cab) plus the 8 foot bed is full. The Chevy 1500HD has a full back seat as well and the 6.5 foot bed is full.

The only thing not full is the 18 foot ATV trailer behind the Chevy.

Stuff will always increase to fill all available space. Nature abhors a vacuum.
Old 10-22-2010, 11:51 AM   #25
namklg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
Hi Nam,
choice of battery setup really comes down to individual needs. As we don't do serious extended dry camping, I'd rather not carry the extra weight. As to where I get batteries locally, I actually buy reconditioned batteries from a dealer in Wisconsin. I get back there fairly often to see family...

From what I've read in the Solar Power section, 80W isn't much, but maybe it's enough for you. , I took steps to make the little 12V battery last: Carry water in 5 gallon jugs, take battery-operated lanterns/flashlights and propane lanterns, use the outhouse, minimize running the heater etc etc. With a little forethought, we could last a week out in the boonies without any recharge.

BTW, what year is your TM?
Hi Brutus,
I drove back from WI... what dealer do you use there? I have an Interstate deep cycle marine battery, so I think I will just pair another one with it. That way, I have a good start without too much extra money out.
We just got the 2011 2720! And they did install the 80W system. I plan on changing out all the regular lights with LED's. I did this in my old pop-up and it made a huge difference in the electrical draw.
The purpose for us in getting the solar and batteries will be to have more options for camping when the electric hook-up sites are limited. For example, in Peninsula State park the electrical sites are quite limited, and not as nice as the non-electric sites. It also provides us with the option for some late fall/winter camping!
Thanks,
Karen
Old 10-22-2010, 11:56 AM   #26
namklg

Quote:

Both batteries should be the same size (group) and close to the same age. I have a pair of group 24 Interstate Marine/RV, because it came with one of those, so I matched it.

When they die, they were purchased in March 2005, I will replace them with a pair of group 27 deep cycle batteries.

The only value to me for having more battery capacity than a single battery provides is that I do not need to run the generator as often.
Hi,
I do not want to go to the expense of purchasing a generator... so, I really want to get the system to work well with what we have. I have an Interstate Marine/RV deep cycle battery that was installed by the dealer. I will get a matching one to make the pair.
It seems as if yours has been going strong for a few years, so that will give me time to discover and perhaps expand the solar collector. It is an 80W panel.
I also have the swing hitch and with the current setup, there is not much more clearance room from the top of the interstate battery.
Old 10-22-2010, 02:10 PM   #27
PopBeavers

Quote:
Hi,
I do not want to go to the expense of purchasing a generator... so, I really want to get the system to work well with what we have. I have an Interstate Marine/RV deep cycle battery that was installed by the dealer. I will get a matching one to make the pair.
It seems as if yours has been going strong for a few years, so that will give me time to discover and perhaps expand the solar collector. It is an 80W panel.
I also have the swing hitch and with the current setup, there is not much more clearance room from the top of the interstate battery.
Solar panels would not be useful for me. I am usually camped at the bottom of a deep valley, that runs east/west surrounded by trees in a dense forest. I might get an hour or two, at most, of direct sunlight on the TM.

We also camp some of the time in a redwood forest in the fog in December and January. Not much sun then either.

For those that camp where the sun shines and the trees and cliffs are not in the way, adequate solar panels eliminates the need for a generator.

You still may need a decent sized set of batteries in case the solar isn't getting enough light to generate enough power. If you have poor weather for 4 days, poor enough that the solar panels are inadequate, then you need a large enough set of batteries to carry you over until the solar will be adequate again. Or more panels.

A lot depends on how long you will camp. For 3 to 4 days and two decent batteries you don't need a generator or solar. Some people get even more than 4 days by conserving.

If you stay a couple of days and then drive all day to a different destination, then you are charging the batteries with both the solar on the TM roof, plus what ever you get from the TV.
Old 10-22-2010, 08:06 PM   #28
namklg

Quote:

Hi,
Could you post a picture of your batteries and how you wired them? Like I have said, I am just learning and I want to do my set-up correctly.
karen
Old 10-22-2010, 10:05 PM   #29
jquarles

I'll throw in my two cents lessons learned a a TM owner for 2 summers now.

I'll list my thoughts with no technical jargon, because I remember my first year of struggles and battery questions and getting into analysis paralysis. All I knew was I needed to improve my situation.

Our style and needs:
  • Never camp with hookups
  • Camp from 2 - 4 nights.
  • Camp at high altitude with chilly nights and have 2 children under 4. For those who aren't aware of this implication. It means we have to run the heater at night.
  • We have a 3326, batteries in the back compartment.

Last year with 12v:
  • Last year I bought a brand new 12v battery. With our camping style, we were always running out of battery right at the end of our trips, if not sooner. Made for paranoid camping. Everytime the heater came on, every light bulb we turned on, made us worry we were going to run out of battery.
  • Generator was out of the question for us. I didn't want to be 'that guy' with the 400 decible generator in a quiet campground, and couldn't afford to get a nice quiet one.
  • Every trip I would curse our 12v setup, and beg my wife for a honda generator.
  • And to be clear, we ran our heater a lot so we are heavy users.

This year with our 2 6v Batteries:
  • This spring, took the TM to the Dealer and had the two 6v put in.
  • Camped 6 trips. Never even came close to running out of battery.
  • Pushing the battery test in the TM, we never went lower than that second from the top light on the tester.
  • NO MORE PARANOIA !!!

So that is my take with no technical jargon.

The last thing I want to state is that I agree with an above post about taking the batteries out of the rear compartment. I just took them out last week. Now having to remove 130 pounds stuffed into a little plastic battery holder inside a tiny square rear compartment is NO easy feat. I felt like an Egyptian trying to build pyramids coming up with a method to get those batteries out without straining to pick them up. I ended up using several one foot long galvanized pipes like you get at Home Depot. Used a little crow bar to lift up an edge of the battery box. Slid a pipe under it. Repeat until Box was on pipes. Propped some wood up to roll the box on pipes over the lip of the storage compartment. Then rolled the unit down to the ground on some spare two-by-fours I made into a ramp. The used a hand cart to move the battery box to my overwintering spot in the garage. This ended up working like charm and I never had to lift a thing. If your stonger than my 3 year old, this worked. Granted, I do look kind of dumb rolling batteries around on pipes, but I saved my back.

Sorry this is such a long post, but I wanted to post up my thoughts on the 2 6 volts since I know how hard this can be as a newbie.
Denver, CO
jquarles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 10:30 PM   #30
Brutus

Quote:
Hi Brutus,
I drove back from WI... what dealer do you use there? I have an Interstate deep cycle marine battery, so I think I will just pair another one with it. That way, I have a good start without too much extra money out.
We just got the 2011 2720! And they did install the 80W system. I plan on changing out all the regular lights with LED's. I did this in my old pop-up and it made a huge difference in the electrical draw.
The purpose for us in getting the solar and batteries will be to have more options for camping when the electric hook-up sites are limited. For example, in Peninsula State park the electrical sites are quite limited, and not as nice as the non-electric sites. It also provides us with the option for some late fall/winter camping!
Thanks,
Karen
Karen, congrats on your brand new 2011 TM! I was talking about a battery dealer in downtown LaCrosse. (TM dealer is in Colorado.) Do a search for reconditioned batteries where you're located. I've had great luck with them. However, since your Interstate battery is brand new, I would think you'd want to add a brand new same-group-size second battery.

We got our 2720 used three years ago and plan to hang onto her for a long time. IMHO, you made an excellent choice! I like your LED idea. Will have to do a search on the topic. Sounds like you obviously know you're way around dry camping. We traded in a pop-up ourselves. Trust me, you'll never look back! With a small amount of practice, you'll be able setup the TM in a few minutes. I still remember trying to setup the door in our Viking pop-up. Took (what seemed like) forever! Cranking it up and down was no joy either...

Quick separate thought: If you're dry camping involves putting hand-pumped water (when you get to the campground) into 5 gal containers and then pouring that into the water tank in the camper, consider doing the 5" or 6" deck plate modification to the top of the water tank. Do a search in plumbing and you'll see what I mean. Best mod we've done.