TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-30-2009, 10:33 PM   #21
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by B_and_D View Post
Well, I wanted to buy a Honda 2000, and I think they are still on sale. I've been looking for one on Craigslist and can't seem to find one close by. There's really not much else I need/want from there.
You'll save $100 on the generator just by buying out-of-state - no sales tax from the less expensive online generator retailers. Plus, last I saw, their price including shipping is usually less than CW's price, so if all that is still true, the $100 in gift certificates would be out of door using it for that purchase.

The sales tax in LA County is now 9.25%. Ugh.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 10:55 PM   #22
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

Yep, that sales tax rate doesn't make me want to buy much of anything. I don't think it's going to get any better in the near future, however. I think it's outrageous. I emailed my senator twice about the 1% increase but he ended up caving in to the pressure to get the budget passed.

Did you know that the State of CA is allowing you to report all your internet and out of state purchases for which you haven't yet paid sales tax on your California Form 540 and pay the sales (use) taxes when you file your income taxes? If you don't, there can be penalties for noncompliance.

Suprisingly very few I know have opted to do that.
Old 05-01-2009, 05:43 AM   #23
cali camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopBeavers View Post
I was at CW San Martin today, to pick up my TM. I had then fix the plumbing leak I caused when trying tor replace the kitchen faucet.

There was no sign of them being in trouble, but I did not ask.
Wayne I thought you were a fix it all yourself kind of guy!?

2007 2720SD, Dual 80 watt solar panels, flat screen LCD TV mounted on side wall, 210 Ah AGM Battery, Link 10, Dual Honda 2000EUi's
Cadillac Escalade EXT, Prodigy
cali camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 05:46 AM   #24
cali camping

Quote:
Yep, that sales tax rate doesn't make me want to buy much of anything. I don't think it's going to get any better in the near future, however. I think it's outrageous. I emailed my senator twice about the 1% increase but he ended up caving in to the pressure to get the budget passed.

Did you know that the State of CA is allowing you to report all your internet and out of state purchases for which you haven't yet paid sales tax on your California Form 540 and pay the sales (use) taxes when you file your income taxes? If you don't, there can be penalties for noncompliance.

And very view will! Although some new tax laws are mandating that on-line retailers collect sales tax for states being shipped to...had it happen twice since the beginning of the year.

2007 2720SD, Dual 80 watt solar panels, flat screen LCD TV mounted on side wall, 210 Ah AGM Battery, Link 10, Dual Honda 2000EUi's
Cadillac Escalade EXT, Prodigy
cali camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 06:11 AM   #25
wmtire

Quote:

I guess that CA read Louisiana's play book on that. We have had a line on our state income tax form for that exact same thing for a few years now. It's right above the line for income received from bribes, kickbacks, and extortion. (only applies to our politicians though).

Our sales tax rate is 9.6% with it being 11% across the river in the Richwood township.

Back on topic: I wouldn't be surprised at any business failing right now. They are really dropping like flies around here, especially all the ones tied to the paper mill industry and their related sub-suppliers. As a small business owner myself, I am concerned.
Old 05-01-2009, 06:55 AM   #26
mgoblue911

Default Camping World

The CW in Bolingbrook (southwest of Chicago) was a large full service (MH sales and repair shop + retail store) facility for the entire Chicagoland area. They shut their doors permanantly last fall. All of their stock of RV's and supplies are gone.

There are not a lot of good options for supplies in Chicago. This hurt.
Old 05-01-2009, 08:06 AM   #27
ng2951

Once a year, Louisiana has a tax holiday on most items. That makes it a good time to buy gensets and such.

Just as an FYI, I bought a Yamaha 2400IS a couple of years ago from Cabela's. If you open an account get them to sell you one off the floor you can beat both sales tax and shipping. Other big box stores have similar arrangements.

I would have gone for dual Honda 2000s if I had wanted to part with another $1K. Getting the Yamaha for around a grand was just too good to pass up. It is interesting to note that over at Wise-Sales there is triple 2000 kit now. Boy does that sound sweet.

BTW, I can store the 2400 in the rear bay of the 3326. I built a simple 2x4 ramp to slide it out onto the ground. The neatest thing I have seen are the people that have built a weatherized enclosure on their TV for the genset. That has pros and cons (what happens to whoever is at the trailer if the TV needs to leave).

CW here in Hammond, LA is associated with Dixie RV. You can get a great deal on just about any MH and they have been putting Jayco pop-ups in the showroom...I guess that means things are tight. It seems like every week they have someone with a MH in the customer orientation area. Lots of people are going through the showroom. CW always seems to have people in it too.

With Cap & Trade on the horizon, possibly pushing gas back to $4.25/gal or above, TM and other quality fuel-efficient trailer manufacturers look very well positioned. Bad for MH manufacturers though.
Old 05-01-2009, 08:17 AM   #28
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

B&D -

As ShrimpBurrito points out, the price of gensets at CW is really quite high. Just for the fun of it, check out Mayberry's (mayberrys.com). They advertise in all the RV magazines as having the lowest price, and I think they may be right. You have to call to get a price, but it will include shipping and, I believe, no sales tax. When I bought my 1000i, they were far cheaper than CW, and the unit arrived at my doorstep in 3 days.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 09:15 AM   #29
PopBeavers

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali camping View Post
Wayne I thought you were a fix it all yourself kind of guy!?
I wish.

My wife doesn't let me fix anything I break.

new faucet with sprayer $45
parts $35
CW price to fix it after I broke the plastic plumbing $235

Knowing that my wife, daughter and soon to be daughter-in-law will be able to wash their hair when we are boondocking in the middle of the forest where we can ride ATVs from camp, and we must conserve water...

priceless
Old 05-01-2009, 10:07 AM   #30
ng2951

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopBeavers View Post
...Knowing that my wife, daughter and soon to be daughter-in-law will be able to wash their hair when we are boondocking in the middle of the forest where we can ride ATVs from camp, and we must conserve water...
You'll never conserve water if you are bringing the wife, daughter, and daughter-in-law...