TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Appliances
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-24-2012, 11:25 AM   #21
rvcycleguy
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopBeavers View Post
Some people may chime in commenting on not using propane in the confined space of a closed TM.

You will find owners of full sized RV using propane, because the large fridges are 2 way, not 3 way.

I see no disadvantage to using 12 volts, as long as you ave the proper setup.

I do see some problems with propane. For one, when crossing some bridges and going through some tunnels you will be required to turn the propane off at the tanks. This would require opening the TM to relight the fridge.

Using propane to compensate for an improperly configured 12volt system , to me, is not reasonable and MIGHT be dangerous in some circumstances.

I wonder if TM documents the use of propane in a closed TM?
I've always felt that traveling with the fridge on propane was a dangerous prospect. Maybe I don't know enough to comment, but I thought the flame might go out due to wind turbulence and may or may not relight? Then gas could still pass through the line? Maybe there are state codes that don't allow a unit to be on propane while being towed? Can't see why a TM owner would not just use 12v mode for practical and safety issues.

TM-2002 3124KB
TV-2003 Toyota Tundra V8 4.7L. Fact. Tow Pkg, air bags
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50c Motorcycle- crashed- parted out
1956 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Motorcycle-sold
2006 Harley Road King
rvcycleguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 09:04 PM   #22
Brittany Dogs
TrailManor Master

If the flame goes out, which would seem possible considering the air movements involved with going down the highway, the LP gas would stop flowing in a matter of say 30-45 seconds.

I have not tried running the fridge on propane while going down the highway myself and I would probably use the 12V as my first attempt. Since my camping style (or maybe I should call it a system) is to carry all the cold stuff in a cooler then load it into the fridge after we set up the TrailManor unit, I generally don't have to run the fridge at all on the trip.

I did install the "external" fridge fan switch and I do per-cool the fridge the day before takeoff, which also charges the batteries, but I don't bother to open the unit and flip the fridge to 12V for the trip to the campsite.
2011, Model 2720SD, 13.5k btu Dometic Low Profile Penguin II with a user installed Easy-Start modification, "Jack" TV Antenna, 15" Goodyear Marathon 225/75R15D Tires on Alloy Wheels, Swing Hitch, Electric Tongue Jack, Front Window (now an option). Powered with a Honda 2000i or 3000 handi (depending on the weather) generator when dry camping. Powered with two 6V Trojan T145 batteries when I need to run silent and deep. TV = 2016 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab w/ WDH.

Home Port: Western New York.
Brittany Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 05:21 AM   #23
brulaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvcycleguy View Post
I've always felt that traveling with the fridge on propane was a dangerous prospect. Maybe I don't know enough to comment, but I thought the flame might go out due to wind turbulence and may or may not relight? Then gas could still pass through the line? Maybe there are state codes that don't allow a unit to be on propane while being towed? Can't see why a TM owner would not just use 12v mode for practical and safety issues.
No comment about using propane in the folding Trailmanors, but pretty much every upright trailer/rv you see on the road is running propane. Ours does, and it works well. Certainly it is the least of the safety issues associated with trailers.
Old 08-25-2012, 11:08 AM   #24
T and C
TrailManor Master

I used to run my truck camper fridge on propane while driving. I began doing this after forgetting about the 12v being on while parked at a tourist attraction on two occasions.

This gave the term "dead battery" a completely new meaning to me. Not even enough juice left to light up the interior lights. So, I started driving with the propane burning. Never had any trouble, but then it was well vented, in a metal box, and high off the ground.

When I approached a tunnel in Virginia somewhere we were stopped at the entrance by the police, ordered to turn my propane off, and then they put a seal on the tank. They were stopping all RV's and checking for this.

Regarding doing this with the TM, I just don't feel safe. I know some owners do tow with that little flame burning...but I guess I am just very cautious. So, we use the cooler while driving.

Tom

TV 2010 F-150 4.6, factory tow pkg, air bags
T and C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 10:40 PM   #25
PopBeavers

The tiny little computer fan can only vent so much heat from the flame. The rest of the heat would likely stay inside the TM.

When the TM is open there is plenty of capacity to vent the heat from the burner.

Stand up RVs have bigger refrigerators. The larger refrigerators can not be cooled using 12 volts, so they are only 2 way and not 3 way.

There is the debate about following the instructions when refueling, that say to turn off propane appliances. That is, apparently, not well defined and causes a very heated debate when the topic comes up on other forums.

I don't like the unknown risk of running a propane flame in a confined space where I can not see it.

I am not aware of any penalty for running on 12 volts, so that is what I do. It has worked well since March 2005.
Old 08-26-2012, 07:27 AM   #26
rumbleweed

Quote:
Originally Posted by T and C View Post
When I approached a tunnel in Virginia somewhere we were stopped at the entrance by the police, ordered to turn my propane off, and then they put a seal on the tank. They were stopping all RV's and checking for this.

Tom
In Maryland, you are not allowed to use the two major I95 tunnels near Baltimore if you have a propane tank over 10lbs in/on your vehicle.