TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Electrical
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-07-2008, 06:48 PM   #31
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Larry -

Right, I did the mod for my 2002 TM. I think that model year 2004 was the time that the factory started shipping TMs with the always-accessible power cord - probably so owners could avoid doing my fairly complicated mod!

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 09:04 AM   #32
mtnguy

Well, I finally got to the power cord modification that I mentioned in post #27.

I took Bill's advice (post #28) and used a smaller gauge cord, since I just need the amps for the converter & fridge.

I drilled a 1/2 hole through the floor of the storage compartment to the bumper storage area, staying away from the extreme edges just in case there was a flange or something in the way. I used a dremel tool to grind down the burrs, and then ran a 10' section of 14/3 "replacement" cord (that I got from Lowe's) up through the hole, and then put a piece of auto wiring harness conduit around the cord and down through the hole.....for cushion, just in case I left some rough edges. I then wired up a female plug on the bare wire end, and double and triple checked that the polarity was OK. I pulled the OEM plug out of the side recepticle, plugged it in with an adapter, and it actually works !!!

Disregarding that last sentence above, I will always make sure that I only use this setup while the unit is down, as the AC or H20 heater (on electric mode) would probably fry that light of wire.

This was a pretty simple modification. It probably took more time for me to remove stuff from the storage areas, gather up tools, and then put everything back than it did to actually do the modification.

This setup should work for any TM with a rear storage compartment, and I would think preferably if the batteries are on the tongue for proper ventilation.

Chap
Old 06-22-2008, 12:45 PM   #33
lwtest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
Back on August 12, Wade started an interesting thread titled 2720 Wish List for his then-new TM. The third item on his wish list - a wish shared by many - was to Engineer access to the power cable for battery charging and refer while closed. The group kicked around a number of thoughts, looking for a method that was both convenient and SAFE. Consensus was that a small auxiliary cord would be OK - no need to use the big 30 amp cable, which isn't normally accessible when the TM is closed. In this discussion, I was the safety guy - I couldn't figure out a way to have two power cords without creating an electrical hazard. (I am an EE and sometimes electrician.) The thread eventually petered out for lack of a solution.

I have thought about the question off and on since then, and the solution - a convenient and SAFE solution - finally popped into my head. And it is easy, and parts cost only about $10-15.

The desire is to put the plug end of a small AC power cord in some spot that is accessible when the TM is closed. My choice would be the back bumper compartment. If this cord is plugged into a source of AC power, then it will provide AC power to the refer and to the battery charger, and nowhere else. If the cord is unplugged, then the refer and charger AUTOMATICALLY revert to the big 30amp power cord. The word AUTOMATIC is important - with AC power projects, nothing should depend on the memory of a weary traveller. And furthermore, if BOTH the big cord and the little cord are plugged in, there must be no hazard.

The solution? In my 2720, anyway, one of the 20 amp circuit breakers in the AC power distribution panel feeds both the refer and the power converter. At the output of this breaker, we insert a changeover relay. The relay is wired up so that this circuit is normally fed from the big 30amp cord, but if the small cord is plugged in, the relay activates and feeds this circuit (and this circuit only) from the small cord. Voila - the function is accomplished.

If anyone is interested in doing this, I will provide a diagram and source for the relay by email. (The board's server doesn't seem to be accepting graphics during the site change.) WARNING: I do not encourage you to undertake any AC power project yourself if you are not throughly comfortable with AC power wiring, house wiring, etc. The job is not hard, but as you know, the consequences of doing it wrong can be severe.

Bill
If you still have it, I would appreciate a copy of the diagram and source for the relay.

Thanks, Larry Test
Old 06-29-2008, 09:34 PM   #34
Bill
Site Team

The whole thing is available in my pile of Tech Stuff at http://tmphotos.org/modules/xoopsgalleryv2/ (thanks, Doug!). The relay can be had from Automation Direct, www.automationdirect.com

Bill
Old 07-01-2008, 06:45 PM   #35
Joe Verrastro

Hello
I have a slightly different item I could really use. I would like to be able to switch from A/C - using the 30 amp cable - to DC without opening my TM. Scenario. We're getting ready for a trip, and I want to get the fridge going. Takes a good 24 hours or so. I want to put our food in it without worrying about dragging coolers along. So I plug it in to the house power and when it's nice and cold I'd like to stock it with food. I typically get everything closed up and hooked to the truck the night before, so we can leave 1st thing in the morning. So I would unplug and stow the 30 amp cable - I can access mine (2007-3023) easily if TM is closed - and I would then like to switch the fridge to D/C so it will stay cold while we drive. But the only way to do that now would be to open the TM and turn the selector switch. Anyone else wanting to do this? Any suggestions?
Thanks
Joe Vee - my first official post!
Old 07-01-2008, 07:38 PM   #36
PopBeavers

I set my fridge to run on 12 volts and leave it plugged in to shore power.

The shore power operates the converter which supplies 12v power to the fridge while also charging the batteries.

I disconnect shorepower at the last possible moment and away we go. The fridge is still running on 12 volts, provided by the truck.

If I stop for dinner along the way, I unplug the TM from the truck and flip my kill switch. The fridge then has no power, but things will stay cold.

I just have to remember to flip the switch back on and plug the TM back into the truck.

I normally only load non perishable items in to the TM fridge. We have a Coleman 12 volt cooler that we load the night before with lettuce, milk etc. I close the TM the night before the trip.

When I get home from work the Coleman cooler goes in the back seat of the truck and gets plugged into the cigarette lighter. After we arrive in camp, the contents of the TM fridge is moved to a cooler with ice and the contents of the Coleman cooler is moved to the TM fridge which is now on propane.

My goal is to minimize the time between when I arrive home from work and we head out. I want as much stuff as possible prepacked.
Old 07-27-2008, 06:58 PM   #37
mbd4kids

Bill,
Could you please email me your plans? I would love to have my electrician do this for us.
My email is [email protected].
Thanks!
Mary Beth
mbd4kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 07:06 AM   #38
Bill
Site Team

Mary Beth -

Please see post #34 above. But a better solution is the one developed by MtnGuy - read all of his posts above. Ask questions as they come up.

Bill
Old 07-28-2008, 01:25 PM   #39
lwtest

I would also be interested in a diagram and part # and where to buy. Thank you very much.

[email protected]
Old 07-28-2008, 03:09 PM   #40
Bill
Site Team

Larry -

Please see post #34 above. But a better solution is the one developed by MtnGuy - read all of his posts above. Ask questions as they come up.

The relay is probably a 782-2C-120A.

Bill